TKR Itching scar....Help please!

Posted , 8 users are following.

I am just past six weeks post op and my scar is really itching. It is so irritating.It has only just started.

Has anyone found anything that works to ease the itching and the urge to scratch?

0 likes, 11 replies

Report / Delete

11 Replies

• Posted

I got that at about that stage. To be honest I was quite pleased because I had found my scar previously to sting a lot when stretched and it felt like pins and needles as well so it was a pleasant relief. I've found bio-oil a greta relief for both and generally helpful to the scar healing.

Dave

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

If there is absolutely no drainage and all the scabs are gone you can start massaging a healing type oil in a couple of times a day. I've always used Vit E oil. Does a good job of healing both on the surface and in deep.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Keep it cool, my knees were hot and itchy for months, and I was told this can last for a year or more.

Icing kept it at bay.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Why couldn't you use hydrocortizone cream?  Or how about lidocaine cream or patches?

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Then wrap loosely with an ACE bandage or get a knee sleeve.  Lots of opeople experience discomfort with the scar rubbing against clothes or sheets.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Mine is still itching like crazy 6 months post op! Driving me crazy!! rolleyes

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi, itching is a good sign means your wound is healing .. altho can be very annoying .. I always use bepathan on anything that is itchy and find it helps heaps.  You get it in the baby isle and I swear by it for everything in our house we call it the 'magic' cream wink

Hope you find something that helps relieve your itch... Tracey

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

ice ice ice
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Thank you. I will continue to ice and try some hydrocortisone cream.
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Once again.....make sure it's completely dry and scab free before using any cream or oil. Even the slightest sign of open wound and the introduction of any liquid is an open invitation to infection. You are hearing this from a guy that that had to under go two major surgeries including the removal of the prosthesis and two 8 week rounds of PICC line infusion of antibiotics. This is a very slow and tedious procedure you definitely don't want to go through. (2 hrs per infusion ....twice a day). Can't emphasize the importance of the clean, dry incision area enough.

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up