TKR left knee Jiggers !!

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi this is for my hubby : tkr 4 weeks ago seems to be doing really well his main problem is what he describes as the jiggers every evening towards bed time the leg seems to have a mind of its own jumping from knee down to foot anyone have any insight or advice its very distressing and painful even though he has pain killers? apart from this we seem to be doing very well

1 like, 8 replies

Report / Delete

8 Replies

• Posted

Sounds like this could be restless leg syndrome.

I am eight months after my TKR (and about to have knee number two sorted) and experience something similar as soon as I get into bed.  I feel the need to constantly move my operated leg and it drives me insane!

Your GP can prescribe medication if your husband is in pain.

Hope this helps.

Lynn

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Having something similar on operated knee (5 wks out).  Eventually take pain killer, get up and ice and elevate, and go to recliner with cover and turn TV on low and that seems to buy me a little sleep.  This has been happening almost every night. Don't think that is encouraging but it does work.
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thanks sky we found Ice makes it 10 x worse but he does eventually go for pain killers and a hot water bottle; bit of a face pull and off to bed I reckon its nerves twitching but he gets so annoyed and frustrated with himself because all day nothing just at night  I feel for him 
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I think its very common. You just have to put up with it, painkillers do no help. I had it too, but found sleeping with a pillow between my legs quietened it down. Now at 12 weeks it has gone completely. Tell him it will gradually improve.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi lesley

i had this too. I found ice sometimes set it off! But oddly only in the evening.

If i woke in the night and went to move the leg i would get a massive attack of it. Sometimes i would just lay relaxing it, trying to avoid it but as soon as i went to move the leg it would do it.

At 16wks i still get the odd attack of it and find walking around helps it.

I also take magnesium which seemed to help.

smile

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I had that as well. I just dealt with it, but. Think it's the healing and the nerves and tissue is coming back to life. Tell him it a good sign. It might even be his medication causing the reaction. 
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hello Lesley

Tkr 11 weeks. I suffer from this very badly every night. I have tried: bananas, tonic water, exercise with little success. However, i have found something that helps. When i get into bed i take some cream and massage both legs very deeply (gentle around the knee) making sure i really stimulate the skin surface. I do this from the ankle upwards finishing by drawing my hands up from ankle to thigh. The skin then feels nice and my legs are much more relaxed. It works for me and i have slept better. On a bad night sometimes i need to refresh it so i use a dry flannel on the surface of my legs to help soothe them. Hope this helps.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I have had these to and yes it seems as if you leg from the knee down has a mind of its own I agree it is very painfull the only advice i can give is to keep taking the pain killers. 
    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up