TKR massaging

Posted , 9 users are following.

I'm just over 6 weeks post op and was wondering if everyone else is massaging their scar tissue. I was religiously massaging mine with Bio oil but had to go to the doctors today as it had become inflamed and itchy. Apparently I must be allergic to Bio Oil! Any other ideas as to what I can use for my sensitive skin?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi, never used Bio Oil but did use Vitamin E oil as recommended by my PT. Try first to make sure you're not allergic to it as well. Really seems to help soften and fade the scar. Had two knees done and now at three weeks a hip. So have started using the Vit E on it. Good luck!

• Posted

hi Ali I am 10weeks now and I have been using ALoe Lotion and have been fine xx
  • Posted

Hi Ali , I just break open a vitamin E capsule and massage it into the scar. My surgeon told me not to use any scar preventions on the market as it seems to make the scar worse. He recommended vitamin E.
  • Posted

Hi Ali,  I am 3 months post op and I only used coconut oil on my scar.  Everyone comments on what a beautiful scar I have.  As scars go.  Ha ha

it is cheap and seems to have worked well for me.  Bring on the shorts!

robin

• Posted

I am 3 weeks post op. My staples came out but my strips have not fallen off yet so not using oils at this time. I did read where massaging with a tennis ball or a small paint brush roller with a soft brush can help with the scar tissue. I have been doing this twice a day
  • Posted

Hi Ali. I was going to use bio oil but spoke to a friend who works with plastic surgeon. She said they advise staying away from Bio oil and only use a small amount of E45 moisturising lotion but not until the scar has healed eg no crusting. Hope this helps. I find it helps mine and it is looking good almost invisible in places.
  • Posted

Oh just to say I am 9weeks post TKR and started using the E45 at about 6 weeks.
  • Posted

Look up Wheat Germ oil. I love it ! Started using it the beginning of my 4th week post op. In two days use I was amazed at the difference in my scar. I break open a capsule twice a day. I use that time to massage the scar. I am now 7 weeks out. I need to buy a knee sleeve. Can't stand the covers on my scar at bedtime. I use a pillow next to me as a way to lift covers up. If you Google wheat germ oil for scars, you will see it penetrates and helps breaK down the scar tissue..

Julia Murphy

Right TKR..

• Posted

Hi. I'm also 6 weeks post op. Been using calendular cream since first week. Also as also suggested a vit E capsule split open and rubbed in. My scar is very neat and not hugely noticable.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.