TKR minus 17 days and counting.....

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi all, as the title says, 17 days to go until my Right TKR.....

Today I attended a "class" as I have been enrolled on an Enhanced Recovery Programme......I think thats NHS speak for "get your butt out of bed asap!". I got to meet with one of the Physios, a senior Nurse from the ward I will be on post-op, and a lovely lady from Occupational Health. Its nice to know there will be a couple of familiar faces when I get back up on to the ward. Occ Health reckon my sofa and armchair are way too low, and the design means they cant be raised, so they are going to bring me a high, straigh-backed chair to use, and also one of the toilet-frame thingies....Im (only) 48, but feel I should have a pair of half-moon glasses on a chain, and a disapproving frown if Im to sit in one of those high back chairs....shoulders back and spine straight, girls.....I also found out that they will be fitting Cryo Cuffs after Surgery, and that I get to keep them to use at home - but not the ice bucket that fits on as theyre too expensive, apparantly. I've heard really good things about the Cuffs, and looked into buying one myself - Im glad I didnt bother!

Ive got my pre-op next Monday, when Ill be meeting with my Surgeon and Anaesthetist,, then it'll be a straight run up to March  6th....I actually felt really lucky today, as no-one else in my class has their surgery date yet.....I also noticed that a lot of people didnt seem to know much about the surgery itself, and what to expect during recovery - i cant imagine no having all the knowledge Ive gained from the Internet, and from you lovely guys on here, 

So, thats me all up to date, hope you are all well and (relatively) pain free, and that you all have the same beautiful sunny skies as I do today xx

2 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Good luck, and it sure helps to know what's happening. I did all of those things as well, except for the ward. I'm just over 10 wks, po. The chair and toilet seat will be great, I also bought a transfer seat to get into the shower sice we have a tub with a shower, and changed the showere head to hand held. Never mind the age and your vanity, that goes out the door with your old knee. Lol. Comfort is what you will be begging for. All the best. 
  • Posted

Yes sunny here in tenerife! Let us know how you get onz they are dead right about low sofas and chairs! They are an absolute pain and although I don't use it for anything else I've got a wheelchair which I sit in for watching tv at night and I can do some of the exercises without being too bored . Sofas are too low.Wish I had had one of those 'over the loo' seats. It's a real struggle to get up and down . Exercise as much as possible now so your muscles are in tip top condition!!!
  • Posted

Hi Terri

good luck i hope it goes well. I bought one of the ice buckets that go with the cryo cuff and it is the best thing i ever did. It meant that i had ice on tap next to my bed or chair any time i needed it and i definitely did need it!

• Posted

Hi Terri great news that you have your date. Where are you having your op? My TKR is 26 th Feb. Nine sleeps to go. Did you get given the preoperation drinks at your" class" I'm sure you are the same as me be glad to get it over with and start the next part of the " knee" journey. Keep up with the exercises it is supposed to make a difference afterwards. X
    • Posted

Hi, I'm having mine at the Derby Royal Hospital. They discussed the pre op carb drinks, but I'll be given them at my pre op appointment next Monday. Your right, I'm just waiting now for the next step, there's only so many reps of the exercises and so much internet research you can do!

Good luck, 17 sleeps for me! Xx

• Posted

Hope all goes well tomorrow with your op looking forward to hearing about your experience x
  • Posted

Good luck with your operation folks, I had my right  knee done 8 months ago, waiting for a date for the left one. I am attending gym now twice a day (it is very near my office) only 40 minutes each time. Working on the bend and generally want to have strong muscles.

Kepp us posted.  xxxxx Grace

• Posted

Hope all goes well with your ops terri and Louise keep us posted on how you get on I have got my assessment on 6th March then op on 28th March 
    • Posted

Good luck with yours as well, you'll be having your assessment as I'm having my op 😨 Not long for you though wait now.

I'll definitely be keeping everyone updated! Xx

• Posted

Good luck Sharon i will be watching yours and Terris progress x
    • Posted

Hi Sharon, Chichester Hospital offer spinal block with sedation. The sedation is optional !!! Ranging from light medium or heavy. Guess what one I will go for .....the heavy no way do I want to see or hear anything. What about you.x
    • Posted

Will do this time next week I will either have had the op or will be waiting my time. Knowing that the op does not mean the end of the pain I am in now is weird, but hey by the time my holiday in August comes I should be running with my grandchildren. X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.