tkr, more pain and in other places

Posted , 7 users are following.

just after ithought i was getting on the right side of things , ive got pain imy knees again  a tight pain that feels like my muscle is being ripped of the bone , and very achey to the point that im having to elevate my poor knees , seen the surgeon and had bloods and xrays that show nothing , just time he says , then to top it my shoulders , elbows , fingers , and feet are not only stiff but painfull . i think im falling apart , sad 

2 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I know how you feel, I hate how this surgery isn't over and done with after a couple of months. It feels ongoing. I think because we are in pain every single ache in our bodies appears more pronounced. My daughter said to me the other day that everything I do that involves standing or walking I am doing in slow motion. We laughed about it but standing, walking  standing from sitting, I am so cautious due to the aches and pains. Try and stay positive and laugh at yourself as it stops you

feeling like crying!  Chin up 😊

• Posted

My shoulders and fingers are also a lot more painful than before. .i put it down to the strain they have taken while using crutches. . and to the fact that I've been a 'painful joints' sort of person since an accident in 1994.  I remember a friend, a pneumologist from Louisiana, had the same problem after a shoulder accident, and he said that the synovial fluid which gets liberated in an accident (Or, I imagine, in a knee operation!) in seen by  other joints to be an invasive problem, and inflammation is caused as the bodty fights it.  Don;t know if he knew what he was talking about, but it certainly seems that way with me!  All my joints are painful . . .
  • Posted

OMG, I thought I was the only one experiencing this.  It seems to be getting worse.  It has been 3 months since my TKR and every joint, muscle, etc. constantly aches.  I can't sleep at night and during the day I sometimes just want to cry.  
  • Posted

Well Debbie, it sounds like you are in good company. Sounds like you had a bilateral and I did too. I found it amazing all I couldn't do because my knees either weren't cooperating or were in too much pain. It put so much strain on the rest of my body. As a result of the stress, at about the 3 month mark, I started losing more hair then usual. I tried not to think too much about it, but 3.5 months after my operation I suffered from an umbilical hernia. I believe it's from the amount I had been using my stomach muscles (compensation for not being able to use my knees) and perhaps not doing things the proper way. When I went in for that surgery (Yes, ugh! Two admissions into the hospital for major surgury in 4 months!), the nurses aids commented on me being under stress and pointed out all the hair on my pillow. And the friend that was there and saw what came out when I brushed my hair was concerned too. Though there are four good reasons why it could be happening, we feel it's the surgical stress from my knee surgery and fits the hair growth pattern of 3 months. So, relax and accept that what you are feeling is most likely all related and normal. And yes, I think normal is for the birds. We want to be different, right? Hang in there and give your body the time and rest it needs. No need to try to over do it.
  • Posted

Oh bless you. How far post op are you? I have arthritis in the spine , neck, shoulders feet and hands. I am amazed  that these joints have been behaving themselves! I have put it down to the meds being stronger than my regular ones and taking them 6 hourly. long my this continue. Oh yes and resting helps. Take care of yourself and I hope you get this all under control x
  • Posted

Oh Debbie, I had to laugh at your comment saying you are falling apart, as that has become a common phrase with me these days!

All my aches & pains I'm sure are caused by arthritis, as I have it in my neck, hips, knees and especially my fingers, where I've got knots on most of my knuckles.

I've had varicose veins for years, but I swear they've gotten worse since the TKR.

Ah the joy of getting older smile I look at myself in the mirror & see my mother staring back at me, ha.

Anyway I'm sorry you are feeling so low about things, but take heart in knowing you are not alone.

Take care Debbie - Betty 8 months post TKR

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.