TKR NERVE BLOCKS ?

Posted , 15 users are following.

Any one know what nerve block is as I'm due to have TKR on the 24th of this month and still don't know what to do Anaesthetic or nerve block could it be an epidural which is injection in the spine and you stay awake has anyone had this just after a bit of advice please .

0 likes, 69 replies

69 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Eileen,  I'm having a spinal  for my knee replacement on 1st March.  I too am slightly confused about the spinal because I imagined it was the same thing as an epidural, but have since understood that it's not the same thing?  I do know they put some numbing gel on where they inject into the spine, and I'm told that the recovery from this is far quicker than from a general, so the aim is to get you up and about as quickly as possible.  I believe you can also have a sedative that will make you a bit 'removed' from the situation so you won't be anxious.  Also, I gather (please anyone tell me if this is wrong!) that a pankiller can also be injected into the spine which is more effective.  You can also have earphones if you don't want to hear the noise of your operation.  A screen is put up so you can't see.

• Posted

I'm also confused Chris I had my pre op last week and they said would you like to have general Anaesthetic or an epidural with sedative and ear phones then on this forum i heard a few talking about nerve blocks so maybe there the same thing someone else might pop up with some advice good luck to you Chris hope all goes well your very brave I need to be put asleep lol

• Posted

Eileen, I hope yours goes very well too - do let us know, and any tips will be good!:-))))  To be honest, when I was going for the pre op I intended asking for a general but when they talked to me about it it changed my mind really, and they gave me a useful leaflet about it that took away my worries (mainly would the spinal hurt!), so I'm pretty relaxed about it now.  I've always been interested in knowing what's going on and happy to watch root canals in teeth being done, in a mirror, so am sort of fascinated about this, but not sure I want to watch LOL!

• Posted

You are brave Chris I've had epidural when I had my 2nd child it was amazing didn't feel a thing but with my 3rd child it never worked they did warn me it probably wouldn't as it has to go in the exact same spot on your spine so that's what's put me off . I'll keep you informed Chris take care

• Posted

Ah Eileen, that's why they tell you not to eat that morning etc. in case the spinal doesn't work.  But they test your leg to see if you can feel anything before they start and if you can then you get the general.  But whatever you choose I hope it goes well and you're soon back on the group telling us about it.  My biggest worry (and I realise this might sound utterly stupid!) is that I can't wash my hair while I'm in there!  I've got some 'no rinse shampoo' but as a daily hairwasher it's bothering me LOL!  But then I guess if that's all I'm worrying about it has to be good LOL!

• Posted

Hi

I had a spinal block also an injection in my thigh . The spinal I do not think was perfect as I had feeling back in the feet in the recovery room after the operation.

The ear phone are a great thing, I did not have them came around in the operation, could only see a green sheet, but could hear a hammer being used. 8 months later I doing fine, never did much of the exercises as caused even more pain. Was active on my feet from 6 weeks , went back to work at 12 weeks. I travel for work and packed my ice bucket and knee wrap for the first month.

Exercise needs to start as plan to ski next January.

Good healing

• Posted

Well I did ask my granddaughter if she'd like me to take selfies of them doing my knee op today LOL!  It's great to hear about your recovery though Clive - and WOW - skiing!!!!!  I can't even imagine WALKING without pain LOL!  It's all so encouraging:-))))

• Posted

No Chris surely not omg I can't even imagine looking at my scar I hope they cover it up till its healed lol. I know they won't but the thought makes me cringe

• Posted

Eileen you did make me laugh LOL!  I'm not squeamish at all but just fascinated:-)  I watched the op being done on video last night - it was fascinating!  But maybe I wouldn't suggest you watch it LOL!

• Posted

OMG can't belive you watched the video Chris you rearly are brave people saying on here you have to put cream on the scar a few times a day 😷 think I'll have to hire a nurse lol. You wouldn't think I did a 6 week intense first aid course run a mile if I seen blood .

• Posted

LOL!  It's probably more of a case of no sense no feeling with me LOL!  I'm sure you'll be FINE Eileen, honestly.  You've reminded me I need to buy something for the scar, but I've got time because it takes about 10 days to heal, doesn't it?  LOL!  I did a first aid course at work too and then lived in dread in case someone had a serious accident!!!!

• Posted

Ha ha my boss put my name on the board when I completed my first aid course I begged him not to so I bribed him with chocolate he was a choco a holic freak. Chris I got biofreeze gel of Amazon £19 a big one it's twice the price in chemist and I got the ice packs of there.

• Posted

I was daft enough to volunteer.  And then lived in fear of someone seriously hurting themselves.  It was useful later when we stopped to help someone in a car accident.  Thank you re the biofreeze gel:-)))))  I'm going to go for the Aircast cryo cuff - have decided now:-)))) 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.