tkr next week

Posted , 6 users are following.

hi ..i am having a tkr next week and im wondering how other patients have got on with stuff like bathing /sleeping/and general day to day tasks post op.cheers

0 likes, 57 replies

57 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Ken, I can't really answer your question as I, too, am having a TKR next week. I am interested in any replies you get though! Good luck with the op. Maybe we can compare problems afterwards? (I'm pretty sure there will be some!) 

Jen 

• Posted

good idea.... we may be able to motivate each other on our road to recovery
  • Posted

Hi ken I had my tkr weds evening. Havent managed a shower but the nurse brings a bowl so have a sitting down wash. Sleep is ok . Nurses heulp with putting slippers on etc . I am still on a zimmer and tomorrow will be having a go with stairs then I can go home. Had a catheter until this morning but managed loo on my own since, everything is a effort but go slow
  • Posted

Hi Ken, I'm sure if you've got a partner they'll be able to help you with the majority of day to day stuff? You'll be better off if you've got a shower either over the bath or separate cubicle, I'm talking from past experience as there have been occasions when I've been a bit like a stranded whale & unable to get out of the bath, thank god for partners, not the most dignified circumstances to be in 😄 I would recommend a large pillow between your legs at night, especially if you sleep on your side? The stockings you have to wear are without doubt the most uncomfortable things ever invented but then again you wear them for a reason, you'll find your own way of doing things as you go along but make sure you don't overdo things, & definitely follow your excercise plan as it really will help in the long run, good luck with your op.
    • Posted

unfortunatly partner is blind so help will be a bit limited..the pillow is good advice which i would recommend to every one(have to do it every night at the mo)not wooried about pain as i am on10/12 tramadol a day now..just hoping to get some sleep afterwards..as for the stockings i am sure i,ll get some stick of the lads in the pub..lo...thanks for the exercise advice i,ll definatly follow the plan..cheers ken
    • Posted

Hi again Ken, sorry to hear about your partner, I'm sure if you take things at a nice steady pace you'll be fine? I'd also recommend asking Occupational Therapy if they come round to see you about them supplying you with a raised toilet seat as this is truly a great invention, good luck.
    • Posted

Meant to ask you how you cope with taking that amount of Tramadol a day, seems like a lot? I've only ever taken 8 during a day when my pain has been at it's worst, can't imagine the last time you went to the loo after all that lot? My GP took me off them & I now take Naproxen which are a lot kinder to the stomach as it seems Tramadol are better for you immediately post op but for any length of time after? What do I know, seems we put our trust & faith in GP's & surgeons & just hope it all turns out well? Have a pint for me next time your down the pub m8 😉
  • Posted

all i can say is do every thing slowly , you wont have a bath or shower till your stitches come out,so thats easy a strip wash and sit on the toilet (with the lid down )get microwave meals ,or better still make extra this week and freeze them ,you will be able to move about when you go home so that will not be a problem just take it easy , take things as they come and dont over do it your body will let you know if you do too much to quickly .at bed time the pillow works well ,i still after 5 months use that pillow ,it gets moved all over my bed ,and if any family or friends asks you if you need help please take it ,you never know when they need help ,hpoe it goes well x

• Posted

oh yea forgot ,we dont have stockings any more in the nw , we have to inject every day for 14 days ,again once you have done it once its a peice of cake , foo wear can be a little hard so chose stuff that are bigger , i rolled the sock up with my hands and put it on the floor near my foot and used my feet to get them on , if your at home there is no real reason to struddle you dont even need to wear any 
    • Posted

thanx for the advice .im sure all these tips will see me through.
    • Posted

hi ken , cant be all bad im having the other knee done on the 4th august , so i guess i must have got some thing right or i wouldnt be able to have it done yet , hope your doing well 

• Posted

well i guess i,ll soon find out ...having op tommorow afternoon..hoping it all goes well ..cant wait to get rid of my knee brace and cripple sticks
    • Posted

Hi Ken, fingers crossed for you, hope all goes well 😊
  • Posted

Very interested in all these posts as I have to have a tkr although here in Wales it's a nine month waiting list. My own fault for putting it off for years. I shall be following all of you and your progress. Good luck.
    • Posted

Had my op on Mon. Making good but slow progress. Physio passed me as fit to go home today but some bleeding still from wound so have to stay in. Also, my leg is very swollen. Putting ice on several times a day which helps I think. Trying to do the exercises but they are very hard! Going to be depending on my husband a lot when I get home. Hope your op went well, Ken.
    • Posted

Hi Carol, shame you've got to wait so long for your TKR, my advice to you would be to try & use the time to build your leg up as much as you can (trust me, I know how difficult this is) this will go a long way towards your recovery period after surgery, helps to have some strong muscles before your op? Good luck & don't overdo it?
    • Posted

I walk a lot,with the dogs and my consultant says I'm in good shape but I;ll take your advice and get as strong as I can.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.