Tkr no 2

Posted , 8 users are following.

Am 33weeks post op left knee doing well with it saw consultant yesterday about other knee done x Ray's after reviewing them he asked if I wanted it done as is bone on bone like previous knee so looking at end of Jan beginning of Feb if not before for second tkr 

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sharon, I had my first done 26 th feb 2015, had my right done 8 days and counting. Absolutely great. My first one is perfection can touch bum with toes, ( in swimming pool) my concerns with second one were if it would be strong enough to cope doing all the work, I should have more confidence all is good. I do use the leg lifter, to move leg, the ot wanted me to use left leg  / foot to help move right one. But I was not happy and used my leg lifter, I am looking forward to the staples coming out, then I can really excercise. 

But as we know by 6 months on you feel all the benefits for having the

surgery. Good luck with you next surgery.

• Posted

Had my second one done five weeks ago. You will be happy when you have TWO GOOD KNEES!

While waiting the four months for my second knee, my right knee was very hurtful! Cracking, popping, terrible pain and lack of balance...SO GLAD to get the surgery DONE!

Both knees are very stable now. I can walk pretty normally ( still going to PT for strengthening, balance, bend, and straightening).

You will be glad you attended to #2!

Best wishes for an uneventful surgery and speedy recovery in the New Year!

• Posted

Hi Sharon. I'm 8 weeks post op from knee #1 and am so looking forward to getting #2 done. My first did fabulously, 130 bend, pain killers done after 2 weeks. I can't wait until I can walk without a limp because of the nonoperated knee. I go in Jan 5th for mine, best of luck with yours.
  • Posted

Hi, I had my first TKR March 6th, and my second October 29th. If you're struggling, in pain, and your Consultant agrees, I say go for it. With the advice EXERCISE EXERCISE EXERCISE!! I put in hours and hours, getting my leg muscles as strong as possible, and believe me it's paid off. 85 degree bend at 2 weeks out - able to light my leg off the bed from day one - it makes such a difference.

I'd had to go back to crutches because of my unoperated knee, now I think I should be free of them in just a few weeks!!

Good luck!!

• Posted

Can't wait to have it done I do 5k on my exercise bike every day plus leg lifts with ankle weights . You have done brilliantly x
  • Posted

I too had excellent recovery from my tkr Sept 1st but still have to use a cane because of my other knee. I so look forward to my 2nd surgery Jan 5th so I can walk normally again.
  • Posted

Hi Sharon,

I'm in a similar postion. Due to playing lots of impact sport over my life time my left knee is bone on bone too. For some reason I have put off having it done for years. My right knee has recently decided to claim the right for a replacement and this I had done 11 weeks ago. Long story, concerning ball, large pet dog and high speed collision sad. I won't be having my left knee done until after April as I am going on holiday then and wouldn't want any slip ups to spoil it. I seem, like you, to be going through this with flying colours (UK in case you aren't). From what I can gleen, reading this Web site, there appears to be a different approach to completing this op, mine was finished with internal dissolvable stiches and medical grade super glue, as opposed to staples which have to be removed. It would be useful if our country of origin was shown on the each blog. Anyway I won't bore you further, let me know how you get on and good luck.

All the best,

Blee83

• Posted

Yes I am in the uk I had staples so yes things do seem to vary depending where you are 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.