TKR Operation

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hi,

I have been wondering if anyone can give me some idea of how you feel when you first stand up after your TKR,mines in 3 weeks time and getting a bit nervous..does it feel weird...

2 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I really didn't find standing up on my first day after the op too difficult at all, it was a bit odd and uncomfortable but not really painful. 

For me the whole experience was far less painful than I imagined. Everyone is different of course but all you can do is take one day at a time. 

Good Luck 

• Posted

Unfortunately, nobody can really tell you what to expect as we are all different!  some people can walk gingerly very quickly, others like me found that the pain of putting the swollen foot to the floor  made walking too difficult.  My surgeon frowned at me annd said that another lady he had operated on the same day as me had left the hospital on day three walking (with crutches)  I certainly didn't have much pain in the knee itself. . it was  the swollen foot which hurt !  Ask them for decent painkillers . .these hospitals generally seem so miserly with the painkillers and sleeping tablets!
  • Posted

Not really, I was only too pleased to be able to wiggle my toes and know that the op had been a success. Also being on morphia in hospital made the whole thing like a walk in the park. Getting hoe is another thing but at least you are able toshout  "ouch" or something similar lol and weep without embarrassment. Believe me, it is all worthwhile in the end. My mantra was and is " Pain never hurt anyone."crylol

• Posted

I didn't find it a problem walking around with the frame but I was really sick due to anaesthetics.  Crutches were ok too.  Within two or three days they had me walking up and down stairs.  Is when you get home and the sleeping, or lack of it that's the problem.  Good luck
  • Posted

You are still a long way from healed and are very weak. Your body and brain are reprogramming. Be patient, this will pass. You will find all sorts of new things as you continue this journey.
  • Posted

Only advise watch for infections. 6 OP 3 where infections. Hope all goes well

• Posted

Hi Lou,

i had my first TKR last March 2014 and again in December. I fully understand your nervousness but there isn't any need to worry. The Physios are very used to this and will help and guide you. Like ypu I was very apprehensive but once you realise that it isn't as bad as you think you'll be fine. Just remember...you are having a new joint and it will withstand anything you throw at it.zgood luck, it's the best thing that I ever did.

• Posted

Hi Lou, I felt very nervous when I first got out of bed after my TKR. I used a zimmer frame to shuffle to the toilet, felt a bit dizzy too. After that very first time it gets easier, because you know how you are going to feel. I am having my other knee done at the end of March. Good luck.
  • Posted

Very wobbly and the worst bit is actually dropping your leg off the bed.

your balance will seem very strange for a while.  Walking frame first day, then crutches.

• Posted

I felt some pain and there was a lot of swelling but it is a major operation.  If you read the msg's here you'll probably note that pain is a big issue for most of us at first and you should be prepared for that. 

Personally I'm thinking in the long term.I walked a fair distance 2 days ago and I'm 4 weeks out and I noted that although there was some pain, it was not coming from that horrible knee I used to have, but the surrounding structure.  I wish you the very best but expect some pain.

• Posted

I must confess I was terrified. I had surgery Friday and this was quite early Saturday morning I had just had the catheter out and was learning how to whizz my bed up and down when in walked this man with a bunch of goodies.  He introduced himself, handed me an exercise ball, a book of exercises, a long shoe horn and a leg lifter raiser which looked like a dog lead!  He then fetched a walking frame and told me to bring the bed up to a sitting position.  Then he told me we were going to walk around the room and he would show me how to move the walker.  I was convinced it was going to be agony, but although it did hurt to lower my leg to the ground, once I was up, it didn't hurt at all, I couldn't believe it!  There is slight discomfort, but nothing more.  I used the walking aid for about ten minutes and then went back to my bed where he went through the first ball exercises.  Sunday morning he was back again, this time with crutches, again it didn't hurt and I walked down the corridor with crutches with no problems.  Once I got the knack of using the leg lifter to lower my leg to the ground, and to get it back onto the bed, I was away and by Sunday evening had one crutch.  Monday I had two physio sessions, got told off for not using crutches to go to my bathroom, and walked out with crutches on Tuesday.  At home I didn't use crutches or sticks, but I did use them when going out. The worst part of the whole thing was wearing the white socks.  I had the bubble sleaves in hospital which I put on when in bed, but to go home they gave me three pairs of socks and I hated every minute I had to wear them.frown  My life saver was my leg lifter, it helped me move freely, reduced discomfort, and very certainly aided recovery.  Ring your hospital physio department and ask if they provide them, if they don't, look on ebay or a big on line Boots.   They are about £8 and worth every penny!  Look under leg raiser or leg lifter.
    • Posted

Isn't it funny, I never even gave a leg raiser a thought.  It certainly was never suggested by any of the professionals.  How did it aid your recovery Liz?  I just lifted my leg myself, a bit heavy but nothing I couldn't handle.  I think my leg strengthened more in fact.  I could lift straightaway though, albeit an inch or so.  My leg was straight too, it's just the bend.   No two people are the same.
    • Posted

Susan, it took a lot of discomfort away in the early days, made getting out of bed, off the couch, a breeze.  I also used it whilest flopping on the couch to do leg extensions, pushing against the raiser and to improve the muscles while raising my leg.  I also  used it arround my ankle to improve my bend while standing on one leg.  Brillint little gadget, just loved it!
  • Posted

A lot of the replies have mentioned this 'leg raiser' which was something that wasn't mentioned to me. I used to put my good foot beneath my other ankle with the new knee and lift it from there. The worst thing was then getting both feet to the floor without my knee/leg slipping off.Thankfully this didn't happen however a nurse was helping me get out of bed and was holding my knee leg and dropped it. Needless to say I wasn't too pleased.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.