TKR PAIN RELIEF

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi all I am 10 weeks TKR and wondered if I should be still on reg pain medication I find after an hour of walking or standing my legs for some time my knee is swollen and painful and getting down about it

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I am almost 7 weeks post op. I went back to work teaching this past week. No real problems but I do find my leg is sore and swelled up  by the time I get home.

I still need to take a 5/325 Vicodin at bedtime and when it wears off I wake up from pain in my knee and just get up instead of trying to fight it. I don't take anything during the daytime, although I do ice my knee a couple times, especailly after doing the PT exercizes .My straigtening is at 3 or 4 and I want to get it to 0. My range of motion is at 119.

One question: I find that taking Aleve makes me feel really cold from head to toe. Has anybody else experienced that?

• Posted

Back to work at 7 weeks?  Really?  People just don't do that.  The swelling is because you're pushing the knee too much every day.  Plus, you've not reached the target 0 / +120 ROM with PT.  Looks like you've short-changed your recovery.  It usually takes people between 3 and 6 months to return to work based on recovery and occupation...most are closer to the 5-6 month end of that timeframe.

You gotta stay off that knee as much as possible until you're done with PT and get gradually stronger in your quads, glutes and core.  If you HAVE TO be at work, I'd be on crutches or use a wheelchair.  The constant swelling is not a good sign.

This might help with sleep...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/trouble-sleeping-post-tkr--539591

• Posted

Actually it was six weeks back to work but I feel I owe it to my students. Plus, going back has helped me sleeping because I'm exhausted when I go to bed. Today is Saturday, I didn't go anywhere, and my knee hurts worse than other days. It was snowing all day here and I wonder if that had an effect.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.