tkr pain using stairs 16 weeks

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone. I am still experiencing weak knee and when Istep down  there is a pain in the front o my knee  and to the outside .   Anyone else  this far along and still feeling the pain ?  Thanks

0 likes, 4 replies

Report / Delete

4 Replies

• Posted

Weakness in the knee itself or weakness in your quad in the front of your leg?
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Yes I'm also 16 weeks post from tkr I still have pain around knee cap and inside knee area. I also have swelling in calf. I had my right knee replaced 3 years ago. I don't remember how long these problems lasted. There r times I still have mild pain in that knee. But for the most part. I was doing great around 6 to 8 months. After a year all was great.

Hope this helped

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Dawn, I'm at about the same place as you. I can't do stairs properly yet. I can go up normally, although I need to be holding on to tight to the bannister or handrail but I can't step down unless the step is fairly shallow. My physio says this is fine, it will come but not to push it because if you twist when you step there is the possibility of hurting your back.    Just a matter of more work strengthening the knee muscles, I do get a little discomfort on the outside but it's pretty good and improving. Best of luck with yours.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Unfortunately I didn't keep a jouurnal and it's not easy to remember exactly when things happened. . but I know I was very very slow in managing to walk down the stairs properly.  In the end I actually practised going up and down on a box in the house, because I think a lot of the problem was fear of the leg giving way. that way I strengthened the necessary muscles without any danger of going flying down our very steep stairs!  the pain you mention in the front of the knee stayed with me for ages.  Even now, two years after, if I try to force a little bit more bend, I feel it.

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up