TKR Patients 'Hopping' Downstairs

Posted , 6 users are following.

Any TKR person out there who's having problems with going downstairs. Since my operation TKR right knee three years ago, my 'bend' or flexion is 90 degrees max. Not enough to normally walk downstairs. Upstairs never a problem. Even without handrails. But hopping downstairs just sucks! Especially when the steps in the staircase are high. I don't think our knees and hips are designed for walking 'hopping' downstairs. 

Bangkok-Johnny who loves escalators.

2 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Is the pain in your knee or your muscles?
  • Posted

Can't remember how long its been since surgery but climbing /descending stairs can take a long time.....months. Just go very slow and practice slowly....it"'ll come.

• Posted

It's been 2 years since my TKR.  I have lately been experiencing pain in the knee - difficult to describe, just a deep aching with occasional pain.  I have had difficulty going downstairs ever since the surgery.  My numbers were 0 and 120 upon Dr release.  

• Posted

Sorry you're back on the site with this kind of news. Better to get x rays asap to make sure its still tracking properly and everything looks o.k. After that the surgeon will be the one to give direction but the only thing that comes to mind.....and I really hate to bring it up......the prosthesis has loosened and isn't moving properly. You know I'm always one of the most positive people around but having been there.....in realistic. Don't fool around with it as in all.probability its not going to fix itself. Let us know.

• Posted

I had troubles walking downstairs with a 104 degree flexion, it wasn't until I had the manipulation and got 120 degrees, that going down the stairs became easier. Hopping sounds horrible on your body, baby step it. smile

• Posted

At a year post TKR, I have a 3 storey house.  Going upstairs is fine, but down is really hard.  I'm really focussing on doing the stairs more often so I can build up strength, I don't want them to get the better out of me and I figure this may be the best way to do it.

• Posted

Thanks for the response - you are saying exactly what I fear.  Guess I better get back in just to have it checked.  Thank you!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.