TKR - people need to be more aware of what it involves

Posted , 15 users are following.

I am 10 months post op and I am amazed that I was not informed fully about this operation. I am sorry but I think i would prefer not to have it done then go through all this. 

I think people are much better opting for stem cell, not this type of surgery over the age of 60. It's a way of killing us off I think, saving on the old pension  eh,

3 likes, 40 replies

40 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I agree with you Mary. I'm in the UK, not sure if you are. I was told major op. Not told anything else, what to expect immediately after or in the weeks, months after the op. 4 physio sessions, 1 follow up consultation meeting, not with surgeon but with a consultant physio. You may get more elsewhere in the country. I should be having my other knee also replaced, I'm currently of the mindset of this won't happen. I have learnt more from blogs and Google than my aftercare.

• Posted

I know - people should be made more aware of the consequences of this type of surgery, like they are for transplant surgery.

I realise now what was involved in surgery but I never in my wildest dreams thought I'd be laid up as much as I have been.

I wouldn't mind if I could walk properly again but I'm all wonky and my balance is all over the place

Quite dangerous at times.

I have a feeling that the NHS have about six different prosthetic knees but one size does not fit all!

My body is having a terrible time adapting to mine. It would have made more sense if they had repaired my old knee and put it back in again. Just a silly thought I suppose- I am in the U.K. Birmingham

• Posted

Exactly the same here in Spain . . absolutely no information on guidance about what to expect in the post operative period. If only I had done more research (my fault, I know. . . ) I would have bought several things which would have made life easier, like an seat for over the toilet, a higher chair to sit it, a cross body large bag for transporting small articles like books, medicines, etc, paper plates and glasses to avoid washing up, shoes two sizes bigger to cope with the swollen feet, thermal underwear (yes, even here in Tenerife!) to cope with the permanent feeling of cold.  I would have prepared better for the stress to my upper body from using crutches, by gym work on the upper body, bought som very soft loose trousers which would not cause havoc with my battered never endings and the  scar itself. . . and possibly not even gone ahead with the horrible operation!  Mind you, two years later, now, I am glad I had it done.  Balance still bad though . . perhaps not related. . . 
    • Posted

nerve endings, not never endings!

• Posted

My sentiments entirely - two years is quite a big chunk out of ones life especially when you're getting older.

X

• Posted

I totally agree with you. I have a coworker who opt to do the stem cell and he is doing fabulous. Whereas for my self I am in constant pain. I will never do this operation again I would have gone with the stem cell but sadly was not covered by my insurance

Sandra

• Posted

Well you live and learn.

I think it's diabolical the way we've been treated.

I certainly wouldn't have the other one done.

X

• Posted

I have changed doctors and same results. All I want to do is cry.

Sandra G

• Posted

I know exactly how you feel.

Lawyers are on the case of dodgy breast implants

Maybe the same thing will happen with knee implants!

X

• Posted

I don't think in the states stem cell is available, well at least thru insurance.  Wouldn't be able to consider that if it wasn't covered. Medical insurance, what a joke, they always complain they don't have enough bucks, if they could just get it together and spend a little more on new innovations they may find how much they may save or make in the end. Another wasteful system, if I told you how much I pay a month, more then a mortgage, does that make sense. .?? 

• Posted

I'm sorry but I can't agree- it's been made abundantly clear to me that it is major surgery, very painful, and the risks. You have to sign a paper to say you understand all this before you go ahead. I'm 11 weeks post op, and it's been agony, but I'm following exact instructions for exercise and am improving every day. There is a light at the end of the tunnel. My friend has had 2 knee knees for 16 years now and he got his life and his job back. It's best to research as much as you can before taking the plunge.

• Posted

Please remember that not everyone lives in the same area, and not everyone has the same experience.  My surgeon never gave me any information, although strangely, when he did my shoulder a few years ago he did say to me "You do realise this is very painful surgery", when in fact it was nowhere near as painful as a TKR.  Hour experience is not the same as everone else's  I agree that more information should be given, more help in the form, perhaps, of a pamphlet giving ideas to aid rehabilitation, and very probably in many places this is done.  Not where I live. 

• Posted

Hi Mandy, I'm sorry however I see both sides. My doc told me that Tkr would be more challenging then my two hip replacements I had 10 years ago. He was pretty clear, however really didn't go into what we really go thru physically as well as mentally after po. I laughed to myself when he told me that thinking how could the Tkr be worse then the hip replacements.? I haven't been laughing for ten months now, yes he was right on that one. I feel like I aged 10 years, my skin started sagging everywhere, my knee bend has been slow, I exercise everyday diligently, im still in pain, now have shoulder neck n back pain, seeing a chiropractor for that, seems to be helping. This surgery affects the whole body some way or another, I'm always peeking behind my backing to see what pain boogie man will sneak up on me now, lol.  Some are lucky enough to see a speedy recovery, some not. But I think we all will heal.  I still think  no one can put in words what a toll this Tkr can have on you. It's the the old saying, "you got to live it to know it" theory??. I hope and pray u have had a good recovery period.

mary I'm in the same boat as you. I hear all your frustrations. I believe you will get to the point of healing that you can live with. Slow and steady, we all heal differently (as a very wise man has contributed to this forum), I know about all your tears n pain, good days bad days. Hang in there girl, my goodness if I can do it u can too.  Oh by the way, there is one thing I know for sure after all this time, I am not the person I was going into this, I wonder where that movin fun loving girl went many times, I want her back, that is my goal.  P.s. I'm (or was) a fun outgoing person before all this, now I've become this reserved person always watching my steps, I'll be back (as Arnold swarzenagher once said).   Best of good health to you and all

k.p.  Female 61 boomer dillusioned by age, oh well 🤔🤔 🍀🌬👼🌈🚴🏊🙏 

• Posted

It's now 5.20 in the morning and your blog made me laugh despite the pain which woke me up. My TKR has murdered any semblance of normal sleep!

I wouldn't even know to alleviate any pain because I can't pinpoint the one spot like I could before the op. It's really knocked me around the whole thing.

Now the nerves in my feet are starting - I have to keep rubbing them up and down the sheet to try and deaden the sensation x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.