TKR - people need to be more aware of what it involves

Posted , 15 users are following.

I am 10 months post op and I am amazed that I was not informed fully about this operation. I am sorry but I think i would prefer not to have it done then go through all this. 

I think people are much better opting for stem cell, not this type of surgery over the age of 60. It's a way of killing us off I think, saving on the old pension  eh,

3 likes, 40 replies

40 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I think you have a point!! I'm 65 and had my TKR back in May 2016, what a nightmare!! Still can't bend the knee, only about 75 degrees of flex, so can't do too much. My wife is ready to kill me because all I do is say ouch just about every time I move. Yes I would have been better off getting a few injections than having the surgery!!

• Posted

I agree - this surgery makes you feel worse than before. If I could turn back time I would have steered well away from it. I'd rather have the pain than this!

• Posted

Yes agree with you all. I never sign any paper or seen a movie or class. Maybe if we did not one would have had the surgery. I think I might have lost my job or at least it was posted. Time to get a lawyer.
  • Posted

Hi mary. I believe many of us thought we could just get new knees and go back to our old lives. No such thing for me or my sister. I can say that every day delivers a change and some are good changes and some take a bit of getting used to. I am going to get a referral to a Neurologist for my balance issues. I have BPPV now and again but this falling down and feeling as if I will, is something I need to sort out. My sister is recovering now at 4 months from one knee. She had 2 new hips and another knee about 9 years ago. She is suffering but gets on with it. It can be sooo difficult to keep positive but for me, I cannot be or do, otherwise. I have a long life to look forward to full of travel and great experiences. I can never think otherwise. Sending you hugs. xx 
  • Posted

Hi Mary, this is a brutal operation & you are right, the surgeons do not

Give a realistic picture of recovery. I am in the UK, Hertfordshire, we had

A physio session & 'class' before surgery, it was compulsory, no class no op!

Even so they didn't really give us a complete overview of the recovery!

I don't know if I would have been eligible for stem cell therapy, there is a clinical

Trial,ongoing to about 2019 & they say no good for advanced osteoarthritis.

So no good for me.

After reading some the woes on here I think I'm fortunate! I have pain,

Discomfort, sleepless nights & all the rest but not so bad that I won't get my

Left leg done, hope to be back on the waiting list in the summer. The pain

I get now is nowhere near the pain I had before the op. I had restless nights

Then as I couldn't get comfortable or I'd move & the pain would shoot

Down my leg! Walking agony, the pain now is slight in comparison.

I was always fit & active before arthritis & I miss long walks.

So recovery is hard but bring it on!

You will get there, with the information of others on here.

(Don't get me started on the pensions debacle!!)

Good luck, keep your chin up & a sense of humour.

Keep us posted as to how your going.

Best wishes

Marilyn

XX

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.