TKR POSITIVE POSTS

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi All

I love this forum. Very informative.

I am having a TKR in February in UK , and it would be great to receive some nice positive posts on here. I read most of the posts and its quite frightening, in so much that I am thinking will I be better off with the pain I have now, or a new knee ? 

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Hazel

Definitely go for the TKR if you are in pain now.  I won't disguise the fact that there will be a lot of pain for a while afterwards as you do the exercises to get your knee moving again, but it will be worth it believe me.   I am now just 6 month post TKR and, like you, had suffered with considerable bone-on-bone pain for a while.  The pain and discomfort that goes with doing the exercises after the op will diminish, whereas the old knee will only get worse.  You must be determined to continue through thick and thin because you will get there in the end.  You're right, this Forum is a godsend and everybody is so helpful.  I was at my wit's end just after the op and it got me through.  Yes, definitely do it.  Best wishes to you.

• Posted

Hi Hazel

Welcome on board!  I think that the truth is that those who sail through the surgery don't join the website, so you (maybe) get a bit of an unbalanced view from those of us who have had problems.

The best thing to do is to take note of the suggestions that we give for preparing for surgery...and what will help you for dealing with the recovery.

if you have any questions though, please ask.

Every person is different, and so is every knee (I've had both done).

Wishing you all the best.

Patsy

• Posted

Hazel, I had my knee done in 1999 and I haven't had a minutes problem with it, the only thing I can't do is kneel on it for any length of time...

I was 41 when I had it done, and that was my fifth joint.

I don't think any one can tell you if you should or should not go ahead with it, as it's such a huge decision, so long as you are well informed have a good surgeon and do as you are told you should do fine, but every surgery comes with a risk and you need to know them one of them sadly is infection...

I had no quality of life that's why they did mine so young, I had AVN from scuba diving. And I couldn't walk any where....

im trying to help a lady at the moment who had her bilateral knees done 10 years ago, and all of a sudden one has become infected. And will Be removed soon...she has no idea why. I am worried as they aren't scheduling it until end of March and I think that's crazy. Plus her surgeon is too old to be doing a problem knee. But she insists on seeing him,

complications are rare but they aren't nice if its you, but make sure you ask heaps of questions and get them answered. I'm sure you will make the right decision for you,,.

• Posted

Hi Hazel. I think you see the posts from people who are struggling because they are the folks who need the support most.

Every knee is different but my experience was oustanding. Like most on this forum I was up and moving hours after returning to my room. My pain wasn't anything that wasn't easily controlled by pain meds. I was climbing the stairs at home within a few days of getting back. With the help of my in home therapist I had reached 120 degree bend after 2 weeks and am now (4 months post op) at 130 with 0 extension. I was able to get off narcotic pain meds by 2 weeks and just use anti-inflammatories since. Through all of this I had virtually no swelling.

My experience has been wonderful and I'm having my other knee done on the 5th. I tell people that if it goes half as well as the first one I'll be thrilled. Make no midtake though, my recovery, as well as everyone else on this forum,involved lots of hard work with exercising, icing, resting, hydrating and generally taking lots of time to take care of myself.

Good luck with your upcoming surgery. Make sure you let everyone know how you are doing and Merry Christmas!

• Posted

Thank you Deborah. All the replies have been most helpful.

I now feel encouraged to have the operation, just wish it was now and not in February.

• Posted

This is not a good time of the year to have it done...I came out of hospital the week before Xmas with my first one in 2012.  It was a nightmare to be honest.  My Dad still wanted his 'normal Xmas', but couldn't work out how my oven worked, etc, etc, so I ended up doing most of it and didn't want to eat anything by the time it was ready...and sitting on a dining room chair was agony.  Also, the weather was snowy shortly afterwards, so I couldn't risk going outside the house.
  • Posted

Hazel

please have a look at my recently posted updates on my TKR

30/11/2015

all positives by the way

best wishes jude UK

• Posted

If your experience is anything like mine, you will be better off with a new knee, the sooner the better.I had TKR 3 and a half years ago.

It is a long hard road to recovery but for me it has been worth it in the end.

There are several things you need to have in place before the operation.

Your local hospital should be able to put you in touch with an occupational / physiotherapist who will come to your house and assess what you need.

Raised toilet seat

Raisers on armchair or sofa

Tea trolley

You can borrow these things free for as long as you need but they must be put in place before you go into hospital, it is no good coming home without them!

Also Red Cross will do shopping for you for 6 weeks after you come home.

I chose to be awake during operation and just had epidural. This is so much easier because you do not have to get over anaesthetic.

Hope this helps

Take care and keep in touch

Sarah xxx

• Posted

Hi Hazel

I'm 51 and had PKR on the 7th Oct. Very sick with the  anaesthetic and the week afterwards, felt like I had been run over by a bus. Stiff, swollen and thought what have I done.  Now 10 weeks post op, knee bending well and pretty much back to normal.  Love walking but could only hobble before due to bone on bone now pain free on that knee.  Waiting for other knee to be done and can't wait so that I can walk around normally.  Hope that all goes well for you and remember we have all been there but came out the other side.  This forum is great for help and advise.

Tracy

• Posted

Good luck with your other knee.  All these posts have been very helpful to me.  
  • Posted

hi   how are you  i  am  3 weeks  post  surgery  rt  knee replacement . advice ...  be  prepared ,be  lmnowledgeable ,if squeamish  there is a animated version of   surgery lol  like i  watched. have  meals in plaxce  and equiptment . i strongly  suggest   in  home  person  24 round  clock  care ,lol  well  you,ll sleep. movement  is   good  and trying to da  as they  want  you  too ..i was on bed  rest  1st night  bed  pan lol...3 nights in  hospital   ns canada ...my  bladder went  nuts . for first week   ,fluids lots  ... take medication as prescribed.ask  questions.dont  be surpriseed the  muscle  dont respond  right  away  if  you try to move  foot ,it takes  time. week 1 is the  hardest.but try  and  move...when  you can exercise actually  makes  feel  better afterwards.. 2nd  week  better  and 3rd even  better , any questions  ill be happy  to  answer  week 2 picture... merry  christmas

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.