TKR post op 11 wks,I work 8 hrs a day 6 days a week on my

Posted , 7 users are following.

feet,Dr given me another 6 weeks off work due to this,any advice on returning to work or preparing for return ?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Thanks I'm going to gym daily to strengthen knee but after exercising and being on my leg a couple of hours I need to rest for a couple.
  • Posted

I had TKR 7 weeks ago and as you, I am constantly on my feet and my day is filled with much walking. week, I went back to work last week but kept my schedule light as the pain is still prevalent.  The more I do, the more I hurt.  My head is way ahead of my knee and I need to be sensible as to how much I can actually accomplish in a day.

i am 69 years old and love being"out there".  Was home for 5 weeks and danced on New Years Eve!  Well, it was an attempt at dancing and I paid for it the next day.

We're all different and our rate of recovery will vary.  Take it easy and just know that you will progress. Patience is truly a virtue.

• Posted

I would accept your Dr's advice unless staying off work causes a problem. I had 12/13 weeks off and then had a phased return. If you go back too early, your ankle and knee will swell  and you'll be fit for nothing when you get home.

It is worth being patient in the long run - you want your lifestyle to improve as much as possible after TKR.

Good Luck!

• Posted

Hi Deborah.

My advice is take it easy, don't rush the healing process.  Exercise, ice, rest, if you can.  At work you don't get the luxury of resting, I found this with my 1st TKR last March.  I resumed work at 8 wks, mostly because my employer does not pay sick pay!  SSP is pretty rubbish so I went back I feel too early due to economics.

My work was 60% desk and 40% packing and despatching, it hurt and I didn't want a repeat of that pain with knee 2.  On top of that I had a 1 hour driving commute each way which was very, very uncomfortable at the end of the day.

I had a change of mind set with my latest TKR in October 2014, I retired and drew my state pension!  My due date to retire was in September, I made and completed a list of 'things to do before the operation' and made sure I was totally and fully recovered before even contemplating work again.  I don't miss work, I'm enjoying the easy life, walking without pain, housework, shopping D.I.Y. enjoying playing with my grandchildren and on my feet most of the day, ( I do stop for a rest and a cuppa 2 - 3 times) I'm sleeping better too.  I'm lucky perhaps, but with the experience of the first I made sure I didn't repeat all that discomfort for the second.  But I'm sure exercising then cooling and resting has helped this time around.  If I do return to work it will be part-time only, why should I waste this new found freedom and mobility just to work 9 hours per day.

Enjoy the rest, you might get used to it!  cool

• Posted

Thanks for the advice,I'm only 49 and yes SSP is shocking,so I'm taking a big hit financially,and I've got another 20 yrs left to work which is why I don't want to go back too soon as I don't want to end up damaging my new knee.I need my other one doing but am holding off for as long as possible .I've always been active and done sport so I think I will take my time before going back. Thanks for advice everyone.
  • Posted

i went back at 12 weeks and also work full time and also on my feet all day , i would do as your doc said and ask for a phase back to work , i couldnt do that but wish i could have , 11 weeks later and my knees are both painfull and feel that i may have gone back wards , when i finish work my bend is so stiff and i just want to sit and relax , i also went to the gym and swam daily , so take it easy ,

• Posted

I'm nearly 4 weeks post op. Working on the dreaded bend. Can walk around house well. Horrible compensatory pains. Lousy lower back ache. But I guess it's the bodies way of adjusting . We are all different.its been a hard challenge

Robert

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.