TKR post op 11wks and depressed

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hello I am new to this group. I had a full knee rereplacement 11 wks ago and I don't think I am progressing as well as I would like. I have seen physio today and despite sticking to a good exercise regime - I am despondent !! My bend is only 63° although my leg is straight. The physio hinted at having an MUA insisting I should discuss with surgeon, if there is any info re this procedure please advise. I am a 58 yr old female. Up till now I have recovered extremely well with swollen knee and it feels just like a blood prepressure cuff when I have exercised .

Thanks all for your time.

Ps I am in the UK Nottinghamshire

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Janey

I'm 12 weeks TKR and have a great bend and straight leg now.

I would guess that there is something wrong and you probably do need the MUA.

I didnt have that done but many on here did and it worked well for them.

They will reply to you.

We all get depressed from time to time as we feel we are not getting better as quick as we would like.

This is the best place to find comfort and advice.

And have  a good moan/rant

Take care

Ann

The Irish One!

• Posted

Hi I am just coming up to 12 weeks post tkr surgery and although I am feeling a lot better in myself, my knee is very stiff and painful when I bend. I can straighten my leg great. I have to see surgeon on Tuesday for an x Ray and for him to check me. When I was 5 weeks my leg gave way and I had to go to A and E because I couldn't put my foot to floor. They said I had probably torn scar tissue deep down and since then my knee hasn't felt right. The physio said it may have been the spacer that has moved, as my bend was not as good as it had been. I am still on morphine patches and paracetamol . I am hoping it's not the spacer because I don't know what happens if it is. I have heard mixed results from Mua but I think if you have to have it then you have to go along with the doctors. After reading about all the problems people have it makes me realise that everyone has some problems along the way even if it all goes well, the pain and time it takes to recover is way more than any of us expects. Hope everything goes ok and just go with whatever the doctor suggests. Best of luck Jannette
  • Posted

I had TKR nearly 4 years ago.

My bend was also really poor.

I only just managed to get to 90 degrees for my 6 week post op appointment with the consultant.

This exercise is the one that helped me most.

Sit on the bed with a teatray at your feet. Keep your socks on.

Gently slide the leg up the tray and mark how far you can get.

Next time try to get a bit further up the tray.

Hope this helps

TAke care and keep in touch

Sarah

• Posted

I do the same exercise but a little different. Get a regular plastic bag like you get from the grocery store. Put your foot in it and tie around your ankle. Then take a yoga strap (Or a belt) and wrap it around the bottom of your foot. Put the yoga strap/belt in each hand and lay down. First slide your leg as far as you can trying not to pull too much with the yoga strap/belt. After you get stronger slide your leg up as far as you can and then use those yoga strap/belt to gently pull your leg further up towards your face! I learned this on my pkr September 2016. I had a lot of exercises to do from my in-home therapist and I hated this one the most! I had a revision on February 8, 2017 and doing this again and I find it to be my best exercise. It does help believe me - you will like it after a while! Give it a try and good luck !!
  • Posted

Hi Janey

I am sorry to hear that your bend is not at the degree that it should be and would say to talk to your doctor with regards to having MUA?

There are some good medical websites that tell you why this is done and to explain the procedure. MUA is done to loosen scarring that occurs and to help the person get more flexibility in the bend.

It is so easy for other people to say don't get despondent, but try and focus on the end result, all of us on here have had some sort of issues with our new knees and we all try and be there for other people when the chips are down.

Take care of yourself Janey.

Gillian( ex pat living in Saudi Arabia both TKR done here)

• Posted

Hi Janey

i had to have an MUA at 7.5 weeks as my bend was something similar to yours.  For me it was very successful and I have not looked back but not everyone agrees.  I only had the courage to go ahead with it because f the positive comments I got on here.  If your surgeon recommends it I would go ahead.

i am now at 17 weeks and doing well.  If I do too much though I am in pain.  Can't quite get my leg straight but it is nearly there.  My be d is very good, no idea really what it is but I can negotiate the stairs as long as there is a handrail.

went back to Aqua aerobics and first time it was great but I think I overdid it as the second time yesterday has left me in quite a bit of pain.

let us know what happens and good luck.

Liz

• Posted

I really dont know why there is such pressure on getting to a certain degree of bend. Don't get me wrong, the longer it takes to get a full range of movement + some people need pushing more than others but.  Think about it.  You have jus had you leg cut off and put back together with something that was not there when you were born!  Not only does your body have to get used to this foreign body, but brain has to get used to it too!  You have the pain of the bone, the scar tissue and worst of all the nerves knitting back, and boy do they take their sweet time about it.  11 weeks is no time at all. Don't go down the MUA route until you have convinced yourself that you really really cant do anymore.  The trick is to continually work and getting your knee to work for you. Physio apart, when you are resting keep contracting your thigh muscles (quads), by making these stronger, the better the control you have. Also think of those hamstrings; tighter than a violinists bow, massage them. Exaggerate the way you walk down stairs, making your bad leg do the most work. If it hurts too much; try walking down backwards. You will experience a whole range of emotions, this is natural. Make sure you are taking strong painkillers on a regular basis (not just when it is really painful, as some people do). By keeping the pain under control will allow you to bend/straighten better. By all means try and work through the pain, but not the agony. Try keeping your leg elevated (especially at night), you can still do certain exercises when your leg is at an angle.  There is light at the end of the tunnel, but it could be a long tunnel, walk the distance, dont run, keep patience as your new best friend and keep your brain busy, music, audio, tv, whatever rocks your boat.  It will take your mind off the pain (even when exercising)
    • Posted

Hi sueisobel, I had a tkr on 11/16/15. Since it sounds like you have had a lot of scar tissue, I would like to ask you some questions. Does scar tissue feel like burrs sticking in the inside of your leg? Is that what causes the tight band feeling? That's the way mine feels, in addition to tenderness right on the knee cap. I can no longer tolerate icing. It makes my knee really ache. My surgeon thought I needed an MUA a month ago. I told him I wasn't ready and I would think about it. I go back to him next week. What do you think?

• Posted

Hi

The scar tissue makes the knee feel really tight, as if it's it's stuck tight or not sliding properly, and the pain feels the same as bone on bone: either side of the kneecap.  The top of the kneecap is quite often sore, too.  Because I'm now walking with such a limp (again), my calf and hamstring muscles are contracting which is also pulling on my hip...so that's uncomfortable too now.

• Posted

Hi Patsy,Thanks for your answer about the scar tissue. Did you or anyone else on this forum have a lot of pain and pulling feeling when sitting? I find it impossible to sit anywhere in comfort. It is SO uncomfortable to ride in a car. The only way I can have any comfort is with my feet elevated and my entire leg supported, as in a recliner.

Thanks, Betty

• Posted

Hi Betty

i had my TKR on 26/10 and a MUA on 18/12.  I am a lot better and leg almost straight and a good bend but I can honestly say that I still feel like my leg is a heavy lump and it gets tight.  My own fault as I find it hard to take it easy.  Till my MUA I could not get comfortable in a chair or the car, I constantly had to have my leg stretched out, it was a total nightmare but I have not been lik that since very shortly after the MUA, it was the best thing I could do.  Doesn't seem to work for everyone, but it worked for me.

liz

• Posted

Hi Liz

Thanks for your reply. Don't quite understand your dates. How long between your tkr and MUA?

Betty

• Posted

The dreaded 'log leg' Liz!!!

Standing or sitting for any length of time brings it on.

Is that ever going to go away? sad

• Posted

Just seen your message. I cannot use ice.  Always heat.  I use a wheat bag and the relief is almost instant.  Even on hot sunny days my knees feel as if they have been refrigerated.  Deep massage and lots of bending will ease the inside scar tissue, it is not a nice feeling, but it will go. When you have the original operation, before bringing you round, the surgeon would have done an MUA then.  So they know what you are capable of.  Unfortunately pain stops you wanting to push as much.  That's a normal reaction, find another way to do things, gentle and often
    • Posted

Hi Betty

Yes, I find that it very much depends on the height of the seat.  I am only 5' 2" so this makes a big difference.  Dining room, restaurant and office chairs are the worst.  I've tried a foot rest, but that just seems to contract the quads, so I now have a squashy cushion under my desk.  My Dad used to put a pillow in the footwell of his car, when taking me to physio.  My sofas are quite low, and that seems to suit me better.

The scar tissue does make it very tight...and in my case very painful to stand and put weight on that leg.  I'm back to see my consultant on Thurs, to see if he can suggest anything else!

• Posted

7.5 weeks.  26 October, then 18 December and worked really well for me.  Sorry I didn't respond sooner as I ha e been really busy and not on the forum.

liz x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.