TKR post op 11wks and depressed

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hello I am new to this group. I had a full knee rereplacement 11 wks ago and I don't think I am progressing as well as I would like. I have seen physio today and despite sticking to a good exercise regime - I am despondent !! My bend is only 63° although my leg is straight. The physio hinted at having an MUA insisting I should discuss with surgeon, if there is any info re this procedure please advise. I am a 58 yr old female. Up till now I have recovered extremely well with swollen knee and it feels just like a blood prepressure cuff when I have exercised .

Thanks all for your time.

Ps I am in the UK Nottinghamshire

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Janey

I had MUA's approx 4-5 months after both of my TKRs.  I had a general anaesthetic and was only out for about 30 mins.  I woke up in recovery already on a CPM.  My MUA on my first off-the-shelf TKR worked brilliantly and I made great progress from there on.  Unfortunately, the MUA did not straighten my bespoke second TKR, although my surgeon had said that he'd got it straight in theatre.  That one gradually go t worse and I had the knee re-opened a year on, to remove excess scar tissue.  It was lovely and straight again...for a while...but now bent again and getting worse being back at work at a desk all day (at home).  Seeing my consultant next week, so not sure what can be done next.

I would certainly go for an MUA again though.

Hooe that helps you.

Patsy

• Posted

Hi Patsy, Would you please read the message I sent to sueisobel? I really meant that for you, but got confused. My rom is about 102
  • Posted

Hi janey

I am only 3 weeks post op TKR. I am new to this so I really don't have the best advice. I can say this though. The people that are on this forum will give the best advice and truly become your friends when you need it the most.

My bend isn't great which worries me. On the other hand I think I was nursing that knee for so long it's going to take a bit of time to get it back as the muscles extra are not used to doing what we call the normal. The brain also needs retraining too I think. I couldn't lift my leg after the operation but I feel it was more of a mental block.

I hope you all the best and again the people on here will give great advice.

Jodie xxx

• Posted

Hi Janey I am nearly 10 weeks post left Tkr surgery and I have a good straight leg but although I am 90 on the bend ,I am still in a lot of pain, am on morphine patch and paracetamol two four times a day. I struggle going up and down stairs, find I can't stand in one place for long and my knee hurts if I sit in one place too long. I was doing ok till 5 weeks when my knee gave way and I couldn't put my foot to floor and ended up in A and E where I was told I had torn scar tissue deep down. My physio has referred me back to surgeon and I have an appointment on Tuesday for an x Ray and to see what he thinks. She thinks the spacer may have moved slightly. I a can walk quite well with one crutch and keep doing exercises, just hoping I haven't got to have anymore surgery. When I get over this one I have to get right knee done, but I'm not thinking about that at this moment. I have found this form such a help and there is always someone who can help you. We all seem to have had our problems. It seems recovery takes a lot longer than we all thought.I think if you are worried I would go along to your doctor mine has been brilliant. Best wishes to you Jannette

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.