TKR Private Appt

Posted , 13 users are following.

Just seen the consultant and yep confirmed I need TKR advised he can't push me any further up the NHS waiting list would need to wait my turn like everyone else approx 2 years! If I choose to self fund it can be done on May 9th! Looks like I have some serious thinking to do!

1 like, 45 replies

45 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi I was in the same boat, I spent from 2010 till early 2015 being sent

from physio to orthopaedic nurse then finally been told we cant do

anymore for you, you need to see an orthopaedic consultant. I saw him had an arthroscopy which didnt work consultant as told i needed a tkr but at

49 was too young.I was put on more painkillers and more and eventually morphine. I was told would be 12 to 18mths on NHS. My pain got worse lifewas unbearable and i could not cope with day to day living. This was now Feb 2016. My husband rang the consultant to see if could be moved up list/put on cancellation list told no.... he enquired about going private... certainly i can do the operation in 2 weeks!! He did say we would go ahead then told me what he had done. He coukd not bear to seeme suffer any more. Idid have the op early March 2016, really sucessful.

Unfortunately other knee now needs done but i will have to wait as cant afford a loan for other knee. Think long and hard, i am so glad i did it.

I know if i hadnt i may have not been here now, i thought of maybe taking another painkiller at times ascouldnt cope with all the pain.

Our NHS at times is awful, wait for 12-18mths or get it done privately in 2weeks. ..

iF you can afford to I woukd do it. Takecare and keep me posted what

you do. S

• Posted

Thanks Sue your journey very similiar to mine. I had arthoscopy Feb 2016 consultant was reluctant to carry it out said 80% chance it wouldnt work and I would be back within 2 years. Saw a different consultant on the NHS November who tried to say it was referred pain in my hip!! Gave me a cortisone which lasted 4 days and a course of physio. GP tried to refer me back even as urgent am looking at October before am even seen. Asked my GP to refer me private and I saw the consultant who did the original surgery. He is recommending TKR says its the only thing that will solve my problems. Am looking at funding options as we speak!

Thanks Sue nice to hear from you

Debs x

• Posted

How awful for you! Two years on painkillers waiting for a TKR? I thought my surgeon was backed up in U.S., because it was three months to find an opening that fit his and my schedules. Although my medical coverage was excellent, I was shocked when I received "this is not a bill" itemizing the hospital and surgeon. It was over $12000. How can people afford those kinds of medical costs? I really hope you can find a way to get moved up the list to a more reasonable date.

Best to you

Ellen

• Posted

Thanks Ellen, am looking at self funding if I do this the TKR will be done May 9th
    • Posted

This is horrible. I had to wait a month is the USA for my hip and the two tkr not much wait time at all. If I had to pay myself, no way. HAVE GREAT INSURANCE BUT PAY SUPER HIGH PREMIUM, out of pocket for all was around 4000 dollars. If I had to self fund it was around 25,000 each time, with two night hospital stay. Sounds like no matter where one lives an average person battles health care costs. My best wishes to you.
    • Posted

Thank you makes me so cross as have worked all my life even when children were small worked around them to be treated like this
    • Posted

I feel successive governments have let down th NHS and the people are suffering for it now.  As you said - we've all paid into this all our lives, but people are dying here because the services aren't there for them!  I wrote to my MP but she seems to feel that foreign aid is more important.  I'm not going to begin to say how I feel about that.

• Posted

I had similar problems 20 years ago , doctor , physio , accupuncture , arthroscopy none of which worked .  I was told I was too young for replacment surgery . All changed when I told GP that I had private health care provided by my company . Refered to consultant and had knee replaced two weeks later Had left knee replaced 19½ years ago and the right 17½ years ago . Changed my life ,it was hard at first , lots of physio and 6 months off work each time . Now almost 20 years later I am really glad I had them done , no pain , good movement almost 140 bend and perfectly straight ., and on my last review 2 years ago xrays were fine and I was told no need for further reviews unless a problem develops . I recommend anyone to have the op if needed , it is hard work and painful at first , but worth it in the long run .

• Posted

Thanks David think am going to bite the bullet and look to finance it I have the help of a good family round me am sure I can raise the funds
  • Posted

Think about Synvisc injections while you wait.  Worked for me a looooong time.  Two varieties: 1. 3 injections within 14 days can last up to a year; or 2. one injection can last up to six months.  Doesn't work for everyone but did for me.

• Posted

Those also worked for me approximately for a year.
  • Posted

This waiting list time varies hugely in different hospitals.  Can I suggest looking online at various places that you are able to choose from, to check on their waiting lists yourself?  My hospital is quoting 3 - 4 weeks to see the surgeon and then 8 - 12 weeks for the op, for instance.  That's in Derby.  It's a bit of a trek for us, but worth it.

• Posted

I can totally relate to this, albeit I'm 10 years younger. I'm 11 wks post TKR and did as above, I'm in Cornwall I had a choice of hospitals (3 being smaller treatment centres) these had drastically reduced waiting times. After a failed anthroscopy/micro fracturing I was in to see my consultant 6 wk after referral, that was last October and had my OP beginning of Feb (I could have had it earlier but decided to go ahead with a Christmas family holiday) have a search around.

Good luck

Michelle

• Posted

I waited over 11 years for my replacement, mainly because i was too young they said at 50, anyway all done 4 weeks ago, but a good idea is when you go to the pre op and chat with the nurse about things, your health etc etc is to say you can go on standby (thats if your able if course ) in other words if you can go in on short notice i was called on a thursday and asked if i could gonin on thd following Tuesday, i dont think many know that this option us available, good luck anyway its worth it
  • Posted

Oh my goodness that IS a long wait, it's rediculas 2 years. I was told 18 weeks & it was , to the day. How will you manage I'm not sure but I think Tkr is 12-13 thousand.

• Posted

I did look online some time back and I think there were a few places that did them for around 9 thousand, if you were close enough to them.
    • Posted

Hi Eileen I've secured a bank loan to fund it gonna take 5 years to pay it off though

• Posted

Hi Debs, been thinking about you and making the decision. Mine cost £1050 herein N.Ireland and then had outpatient consultation on top. I too will be paying it for 5 years but glad,so glad i did. xx

• Posted

Thanks Sue, am very anxious at the moment worrying about surgery and recovery know I need it doing and am glad it's being done but am really scared at moment can't sleep x

• Posted

Freestork, Its amazing that you have to do that , you don't say where in the UK you live but a 2 year wait is unbelievable, Well done for being able to secure a loan but I think it's dreadful you have to pay, the good thing is you'll get it over with & feel better once over recovery . I thought 18 weeks was a long time but my consultant did give me a massive cortisone injection meanwhile ,which really helped. I really wish you well & look forward to hearing @ your recovery .

• Posted

Freestork , Reading this forum looks scary but everyone has said, including me, the hospital staff are really caring & look after you well. I know @ the pain but they give you brilliant pain killers & also send you home with them. As you'll be private it may be good to see if you have to pay for extra medication. I found & still do find this forum very helpful as you can talk with folk who know & get reassurance & help. Keep strong

• Posted

Thank you Eileen. I'm on the Wirral. Was told 18 week wait for initial consultation from when I receive the first hospital letter, but already had letter from GP surgery to say no appointments available and wouldn't receive my 18 week letter until at least July so would be probably looking at October before I would have my first appointment. Then if they referred me for surgery would be looking at 18/24 months x

• Posted

Freestork, I know, although I wasn't actively worried about the surgery (I took the view that it wasn't my problem and I'd be pretty much unaware of it) and recovery, I was terribly stressed in weeks coming up to it, but couldn't get there fast enough, at the same time (as I guess you're feeling, otherwise you wouldn't be paying for it!).  But I wish you a recovery like mine.  Almost pain free, and exciting and positive.  Not everyone has severe pain.  After living with so much pain for so long, you're going to find there is a light at the end of the tunnel here, and you'll have a nice shiny new knee that will be strong and firm and work without pain!  Look forward to that!  They will look after you so well in hospital, and make sure someone looks after you well when you get home, and look after yourself too.  Plan it so you've got lovely things to do each day, whether that's eating cake, watching films or reading something - whatever appeals to you.  It's YOUR time, so make the best of the rest:-)))))  As I said, I wish you a recovery just like mine, which was amazing!

• Posted

Gosh that's way too long ,I don't know how they can justify that .& expect folk to live in constant pain, & would only get worse. It's great you are able to get it done though but awful you have to pay. I live in Hampshire , Surrey boarder & seems much better.

• Posted

It's very true about the pain. .needs to be managed well but i did not find it as bad as expected. I knew when the pain relief was running out, but used TENS and ice and didn't even need to crack into the morphine they gave me at discharge.

• Posted

Thanks Jenny hopefully am prepared enough, if I think of the worst fingers crossed it wont be that bad. I am focussing on being 100% positive  x
    • Posted

That's the way to do it Freestork.  I got the feeling some thought I was much too optimistic concentrating on being positive about the op and it worked for me:-))))))  I'm going in to the second one with the same attitude:-))))  I had one moment, just outside theatre thinking 'if you're going to do a runner, now is the time to do it' LOL!  But decided I was staying:-))))  But it's utterly amazing the difference this can make to your life!!!!!

• Posted

I would do it again! Has taken me 7 weeks to think this, but my other knee will need doing at some point!😂😄😅😯😐😕😀

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.