TKR Private Appt

Posted , 13 users are following.

Just seen the consultant and yep confirmed I need TKR advised he can't push me any further up the NHS waiting list would need to wait my turn like everyone else approx 2 years! If I choose to self fund it can be done on May 9th! Looks like I have some serious thinking to do!

1 like, 45 replies

45 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi I have been on the waiting list for 12 weeks now and have heard nothing I am in constant pain both my knees are painful am on tramadol naproxen and paracetamol feeling very low have been told it has to go to a funding board is like them to be I the pain I'm in good luck

• Posted

What area do you live in Denise?  Have you looked online to see if there are shorter waiting lists at various hospitals in your area and if there are any criteria for people wanting knee replacements?
    • Posted

Live near bath did look at criteria and says over 50 which I am not sleeping which I don't and falling which I have I phoned the people who deal with appointments to be told people have waited longer to be honest I sometimes think if I crash my car would I get it done quicker I'm in so much pain but try to put a brave face on for work and my family

• Posted

Oh Denise!  That sounds so awful!  Is there somewhere you could travel to that has a shorter waiting list but where your GP can still refer you to?
    • Posted

Never thought about that will speak to my doc on Tuesday thank you for your advise
    • Posted

I SO wish you luck Denise.  It might be a good idea for you to look online at various hospitals starting with ones closer to you and working outwards.  I suspect orthopaedic hospitals MIGHT have shorter waiting lists because they're not getting theatre time taken away by other emergencies, if there is one you can get referred to.

• Posted

Fingers crossed for you Denise let me know how you get one x
  • Posted

Oh boy I just picked this thread up. I don't know what's happened to my notifications, some come through, some don't!

Anyway, I was hoping you would be able to get on the NHS list a bit quicker by going privately to see the surgeon! Obviously they locked that back door!

At the cost of private surgery, you have an awful lot to think about!

Let us know what you decide.

Marilyn

XX

• Posted

Thanks Marilyn, I think it varies from trust to trust. It didn't work for me it may work for you? I have some friends I chat to in a holiday forum 1 works in a hospital in Herefordshire and they have an 18 week pathway. Another paid to see a consultant and was then fast tracked up the NHS list? I have decided to go ahead and am due for surgery on 9th May. Just waiting for bookings to call and confirm. My nerves are playing havoc at mo am trying to convince myself I can hang on, may have to resort to kalms or something similar wish u luck hope you get seen soon x

• Posted

Deep breathing! Full lung breath! It is sometimes the case thatv the knee suddenly starts behaving itself before surgery...it's almost as ifvir knows what is coming!

• Posted

I have the same problem that some come through, some don't and some go into junk but won't open or transfer to the inbox!

• Posted

Ahh at least you don't have a long time to worry about it.

I cannot believe there is 2 year waiting time on the NHS op in your area!! That is awful! Still I haven't managed to get back to see my surgeon yet, maybe it's the same here now?? Who knows?!

Around this time last year I was told 5-6 months on the waiting list, it was spot on 6 months when I was scheduled for surgery.

I was given 4 weeks notice & then it was all systems go! Which featured pre op again, (for some reason this hospital always does a preliminary pre op the day you are listed & a pre op once you've been scheduled), bloods - complete work up & 2 for the blood transfusion service- I think 2 weeks apart,the 1st being to test for antibodies, the 2nd group & save.

Physio session on the ward,with completed questionnaire (measurements of height of bed, sofa, loos & whether stairs at home) given at pre op to assess needs for aids & equipment to be used at home (the equipment was delivered the next week), a list of exercises, a talk about the actual op with pictures, & Q&A session after the talk.

Then I think there was 1 week to relax before the op. Which inc the shower with Hibiscrub, the day before & day of the op. Urinalysis at pre op & on the day of op! Whew! Needed the rest, but hey I'd just had major surgery! Spent the next few weeks EXHAUSTED!!

I would like to say we were well prepared but nothing can prepare you for the actuality of TKR!

I hope your operation goes well, let us know how different the private experience is!

Marilyn

XX

• Posted

I just had 30 come through, some from 3 days ago. Yet sometimes they ping through straight away!

Grrrrr

XX

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.