TKR Recovery at 1 year

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had my TKR done on March 31, 2016., I still have a burning sensation, almost all of the time, where my incision was. I also get a lot of popping in my new knee when I walk. I also still have a funny sensation when I kneel. Is this all normal for almost 1 year post surgery?

0 likes, 5 replies

Report / Delete

5 Replies

• Posted

The burning could be caused by the nerves still healing (could take 12-18 months or more) or if you pushed the knee too far on a particular day.  Still, at a year out, you may want to check with your ortho about it.

Popping, clicking, clunking...all could last for 12-18 months...or never go away.  Personally, I don't think mine will stop.  Small price to pay for walking without pain.  Kneeling will ALWAYS be an issue...get used to it.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I'm a little over 13 months but mine is an unusual case.  Got stenosis (like sciatica but down the back of BOTH legs) in L2/L3 eight months into the recovery that put an end to that process.  Had to wait until a month ago to get a correction via LLIF (fantastic!!!).  Now I'm dealing with the normal residual nerve pain from having your spine screwed with.  Going to be another month until I can resume the knee recovery.  Figure full strength by late summer / early fall...if I don't get hit by a bus...

With knee...or hip...or spine operations, we always subconsciously change our gait to compensate for the pain.  That could put your spine and/or hips out of alignment, pinch nerves and cause pain.  Five weeks into the knee rehab, I got sciatica because the way I walked locked up the SI joints in my hips.  Your leg pain could be caused by just that kind of imbalance in your musculoskeletal network.  The least invasive path is a quick x-ray and a chiropractor; fixed me up very easily.  It's when you get into the spine being the root cause of your pain that you get into bigger tests and visits with a neurosurgeon.  I don't think you have to go there.  Your orthopedic surgeon may also be of value here.

Find the cause...get it fixed.  

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi

I had my Right TKR July 12 2016, burning sensation stopped around 12 weeks.

It seems kneeling will always be different after a TKR for the majority.

Goodvhealing

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Darcy, I am 5 mos post TKR. Godfather Chico is correct about the mending nerves. It may help to use cocobutter lotion on the incision and use a compression knee pad to alievate the tingling. Kneeling is a funky feeling, ensure the surface is well padded before kneeling. With time you will become accustomed to that sensation. Popping noise is normal. My popping reminds me how blessed I am to have the gift of a new pain free knee. Best wishes on your journey to a healthy/happy life. Regards, RJ.
    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up