TKR STATS

Posted , 8 users are following.

Is there anywhere that we can see actual stats on TKR, such as average age, recovery time, etc, not just a leaflet from surgeon but something collated by real life struggling people?

I'm really interested to hear from more people my age at 32

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I've never seen anything but I do know you are the youngest person on this site in the last 12 months. I'm in the US and go to therapy on Wednesday. I'll check with my therapist to see if he has any data for at least this part of the world. You might look at JAMA, the magazine the American medical people go to for research data.
    • Posted

Thanks very much, I'm in UK, they don't seem to like to tell me much st my appointments, I do know I'm the youngest in my area that's not trauma
  • Posted

You are certainly the youngest on this site.

When I had TKR 3 and a half years ago I was 61. There was a woman in same ward as me and she was 45.

I was told that they probably would not have given me TKR any earlier.

I had had previous surgery on my knee done by another consultant.

The consultant I had for TKR was absolutely excellent, cannot fault him at all.

It is a long road to recovery. They said to me it would be about a year before I began to feel the benefit and I reckon that was about right.

All I can really say now is that although it is not perfect (and never will be) it is certainly a lot better than it was. It is like having my life back.

Keep in touch and let me know how you are getting on.

Sarah

• Posted

Hi. I had TKR in May and am 49. Im in the UK too and had been about 10 years needing something done, but given delaying tactics, being told "at your age ..." And trying everything else possible.  Anyhow, had it done now - be prepared for a painful, emotional ride!  But I am now feeling glad that I had it done but it's taken a lot of hard work.

keep on this site - there are some lovely people with some very good advice.  And whatever you ask, it's almost certain someone else' has already been through it and can help you on your journey.

Good luck, I hope it goes well for you.  x

• Posted

Hi, I was 29 years old when I had my first total knee replacement on my left knee and 41 when I had my right knee replaced, I am now recovering from my revision knee replacement on my left knee aged 43. Wishing you the best for your operation.

keep us posted.

• Posted

Hi, I needed a knee replacement at 29 as I had servere arthritis and had a lot of arthroscopys and drilling of the bones which was un successful, my recovery of my left knee didn't go well and it took 13 years for them to decide on a revision knee replacement it just never took the pain away. I had my right knee replaced 2 years ago and it has been a great success and nearly completely pain free. I hope it helps to hear both sides of it.

wishing you all the best for yours. Why are you needing a knee replacement?

• Posted

My reason pretty similar to you, suffered from I was about 15, been through 8 ops on right knee, a lot of medication so it's now time to fix it I hope
  • Posted

So, here I am 2 days after op, all went great!!! I'm ready to go home already but I need to wait for X-ray and medication tomorrow.

Let the hard work commence

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.