TKR thigh pain

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am Two weeks post op for a TKR and still getting severe pain in my thigh, especialy if I tighten it, is this normal?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I suspect this is where the tourniquet was tied to stop blood flow to the knee while they operated Ron.  Yes, it is normal and diminishes to feel like sort of a band that's bruised and then suddenly you realise it's not there anymore.  Mine wasn't severe, but just a discomfort when I walked, but then I'm the  'no sense no feeling' sort LOL!  Hope yours is better soon.  Just being four weeks post TKR tomorrow, I've now realised that everything is normal because we all experience so many various aspects in so many various ways.  Hope the pain goes soon - keep icing the knee and elevating.

• Posted

Front or back?  If it's front, then it's totally normal since the quads are atrophied after the surgery and have to be rebuilt over time...usually, after you're done with PT and get your ROM back.  Here's a post on those exercises...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/post-tkr-exercising-565527

BACK of thighs is different.  If one side, think sciatica...if it's the back of BOTH legs, it may be stenosis.  Sciatica is something that a chiropractor can normally handle unless it's spine related (like stenosis) where it can only be fixed by a neurosurgeon.

I tell you this because I've experienced ALL of these problems...lucky me...  I hope that for you, it's just a simple muscle issue typical of TKR recovery.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.