TKR + time in hospital posts

Posted , 8 users are following.

Write here how your time in hospital w as and how the op went

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

3 days in hospital. Op went well, however they could not find a good spot to give me a spinal, so I was put under with anesthesia. I vomited 24/7 the entire three days from the anesthesia! That was worse than the TKR! 

TKR was done July 22, 2014 Betty

• Posted

The op went fine ...spinal block no problem 

then day after the op I had a fall not nice 

leg bruised from top to bottom 

I spent 9 days in hospital and had a blood transfusion 

• Posted

3 days in hospital , would have been 2 but had bleeding from the wound. Op went well , had spinal and sedation but woke up 20minutes from the end !
  • Posted

I had a great time in hospital. Great ward of inmates. We had races on trolleys up and down the ward. Staff and surgeon absolutely brilliant. . Starting walking as soon as caffeta was out. Got chucked after 3 days. Passed all the tests from physio and occupational therapists. 

• Posted

went in on a monday and came home thursday , great time lol, the op was easy with great care , no worries , after care also was great , pain management also great , every one involved could not have been nicer , even the food was ok , pt was a nice bit of eye candy , could not have been treated better or quicker if i had gone private ,( 5 day s after been seen by the consultant , ). the hard work started when i got home ,as we all know .

• Posted

Spinal went really well. Passed all the tests - bend, stairs etc after 3 days but kept in for 6 because of extensive bruising and slight bleed from wound. I was in in July during heat wave. My own fan was a godsend! Staff were excellent. Jen 
  • Posted

I had op on Wednesday morning and got home on Friday morning, even though my wound was still bleeding. I was discharged and the district nurse came out daily for just over a week to dress it.

Stay in hospital was great. Had spinal block and sedation, don't remember a thing till I woke up in recovery. Great staff and a brilliant surgeon.

• Posted

I had quite a bit of loose skin on my back from previous weight loss and the anaethetist had trouble putting in the local anaesthetic and spinal block. Had a few twinge moments and one that made me giggle! But we got there in the end. They put a mask over my face anaethetist (gorgeous) stroked my hair and I didn't know anything until I woke up in recovery with a nurse chatting to me. I woke up feeling really fresh and they said 'glowing' . I had general anaesthetic in the summer and that was not nice had a four hour op and when I woke up was very sick.

when I got back to the ward after the knee op I asked to have a caffeta put in because I'd had bad experiences with bed pans last op. 

The nurse did whilst I was still numb. Really weird feeling you get to the point where you really want a wee then don't need to. Was very surprised how much was in the bag though. 

Mt surgeon came to see me in the ward and told me he had never seen such a big knee cap as mine before. Lot of bony spurs on the outside. We joked that he should have pickled it. 

Sounds weird but I really enjoyed my time in hospital. But three days was long enough

• Posted

I think I would have quite enjoyed my time in the hospital too if not for the three days of non stop vomiting from the anesthesia. They no longer bring you " their choice of meals" at a specific time - it was like being in a 5 star hotel with room service. They had a menu on the bedside & you could order anything you wanted, from full meals, breakfast, lunch & dinner to desserts & milk shakes. My roommate was ordering all these wonderful gourmet meals while I was in my corner vomiting! I felt cheated! I thought if I'm going to have to have this op and spend time in the hospital, at least let me enjoy the nice side benefits, but it didn't happen sad

If there is a next time, I sure hope they can give me a spinal! I never did learn what the problem was as to why they couldn't find the right spot for the injection!

• Posted

Poor you. I had an anaethetist who tried long and hard to find the spot and he did.

its nice being looked after. Sorry you were sick though. If you have the other one done at least you'll know. Maybe they could peer servers on the spinal

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.