TKR - to have or not to have?

Posted , 11 users are following.

My surgeon told me I need a new knee more than 10 years ago now, but I am still udecided.

My right leg and knee were badly damaged in a motocycle accident 40 years ago, and I managed so far. But I don't want to leave it too late, apparently results are better if one is still fairly fit...

What to do?

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

TKR is last resort.  Have you tried other treatments (SynVisc) or having the knee scoped to repair the damage?  If you've done it all without success and a TKR is your only answer then, yes...it's better to have it done while you're young and strong enough to endure the recovery which is long and, for the vast majority of people, very painful.  However, before I went there, I'd get a second opinion before committing to a TKR.  You'll have significant pain for 3-6 months, be out of work for 6-9 months and still have lingering issues for 12-18 months.  Read a lot of posts on the forum and listen to people's stories.  This is not easy or fun.  I'd give it a lot of serious thought...

• Posted

I first injured my knee at 18, football, at 61 this year I had my right knee replaced.

It really only bothered me when doing hard exercise, like skiing . As through work I am covered for private medical, I had one replaced in July. I feel quiet lucky that my recovery took just over 12 weeks. As you can read in this forum, others have not been so lucky.

I need my left knee replaced again because of a football injury. Which I thought I would have done next year, ,but I will put it back as the operation pain and recovery were greater than any pain I have experienced in my life.

Not sure if this helps you , but you will have a better picture than I had.

Merry Christmas

• Posted

Hi clive45466, do you still come to this forum? I would be interested to know how is your knee now. Was it worth it? I too have private insurance and apparently they get the replacement knees specific for each patient. I need to decide very soon as I only have year and half before retiring, and then I will no longer have private insurance. I really would appreciate if you could share how do you feel and what is your experience today, 9 month on from your original response. Many thanks in advance for any advice you are able to provide.
  • Posted

Hello there I agree with Jen get it done now whilst you can do the Physio after. I attended a chiropractor twice a week for four weeks before my op, she gave me exercises which I did regularly. I also did the exercises given me by the NHS Physio 2 weeks before the op. I'm sure it these helped me, not saying I still haven't a long way to go still but am now in more pain with the knee that still needs new joint than the operated knee.

To be balanced however the operation is brutal & I didn't find this forum until after. There are good & bad days but I am so glad I had it done as I was in constant pain before & now only aches a little when over exercising.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Have a Happy Christmas 🎄 🎄

Marilyn

XX

• Posted

I would never encourage surgery unless a combination of pain and lifestyle were just forcing the issue. If its inevitable that you need it done I wouldnt delay as age isn't a friend in the recovery process.

As many have said, living with long term pain was far worse than the short term pain of getting it done.

• Posted

I had mine done 18 and 16 years ago . Was off work 6 months each time . Lots of physio after, and I guess I was lucky did not have a lot of pain . Still no problems after 18 years . Watch the op on youtube and you will know how serious a procedure it is . 
  • Posted

have you lived or just managed?

are you just waiting around to get old enough or do you have future plans?

• Posted

I would manage as long as you can. Try everything  else first. I'm seventy seven and I had TKR in July. Still in pain at times when walking but I seem to have recovered very well I'm working more on the exercise and physio in the New Year.

• Posted

Thank you all for the replies, it is very kind of you to take the time, much appreciated.

ihavenonickname  asks if I lived or just managed - I have managed to live OK I think, and still managing smile

I do know it is a big operation, but I had bigger, quite a lot a lot of them, my leg was pretty mangled and I was 9 years in and out of hospitals after the accident. It is not the operation itself that worries me, it's the thought it might make things worse. In the last 10 years I also had knee arthroscopy 3 times but my surgeon refuses to do it again, says there's no point.

I have very high pain treshold, and I am still active despite chronic pain, I learned to ignore it.

I don't know if I still would be able to do the things I do - admittedly not as much now as when I was younger but I still do climbing, snorkeling, joga, and even static trapeze (great fun). On the other hand my knee is sometimes quite wobbly, and now and then just crumble under me. It will probably just get worse if I leave it....

Also, a new knee it might even my legs a bit, my left leg is 6.5cm shorter that my right leg after all those operations I had. So  that would be an improvement... Maybe I should just go for it and see what I can do afterwards... 

I will continue to read this forum, it is very interesting.

• Posted

Difficult one this because there isn't a one size fits all answer. All I can say is I had both my TKRs done within six months. I played rugby until I was in my forties and guess I deserved what I got regarding wear and tear. I had my done as soon as I could and after feeling a little depressed that I couldn't truly run any more I started to focus on what I could do. I speed walk five miles a day now and do vigorous, but low impact gym sessions at least four times a week. I was sixty six last week and I feel pretty good on it. TKR is a brutal procedure but I think worthwhile in the long run. Who is to say what it would be like if i hadn't had it done? I believe I had the very best of treatment at the Princess Royal Hospital, Telford. Brits should thank our lucky stars we have our wonderful NHS!

• Posted

Thanks for your comprehensive answer, certainly food for thoughts...

• Posted

Hockey for 45 years.  Yes...a TKR can humble rugby and hockey players alike.  None of us are immune.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.