TKR - to have or not to have?

Posted , 11 users are following.

My surgeon told me I need a new knee more than 10 years ago now, but I am still udecided.

My right leg and knee were badly damaged in a motocycle accident 40 years ago, and I managed so far. But I don't want to leave it too late, apparently results are better if one is still fairly fit...

What to do?

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Is your existing knee reliable? I think that has been key for me, in decision. I did have a lot of disability and pain also, but it was getting to the point where i couldnt arrange what i was doing because I never knew if I could walk the necessary distance...and life was shrinking because it. Only get it done if you really want it.
    • Posted

I walk with a folding stick if it's a longer journey, but I do manage without. I keep quite fit and what worries me is that I will not be able to do what I manage now. Thanks for your reply.

• Posted

My other knee is very reliable so I'm not in any hurry to get it done.  However, I'll be 70 in six months so I cannot stretch the timeline our forever.  I'm figuring the next few years.  There's the occasional "twinge" but my fear is that it will deteriorate rapidly like the first one which left me with no choice.  I would just like to let the memories of #1 recede a bit more into the past...  I wouldn't worry about it since it is not something you can control.  When it's time, it's time...and you will know it.

• Posted

Mine deteriorated rapidly... but some people seem to have less dramatic joint degeneration. I can now do what I have not been able to do for years...walked three miles today, I am six months post op. But the recovery is hard work. Needs full commitment. My new knee leg is really strong...I was quite shocked at first, at the improvement, as I knew my legs were weaker because of altered biomechanics but had not appreciated how much it made a difference. I do gentle yoga with no problems but it is adapted! Maybe you could get a physio to put you through some testing of some kind to assess your strength and efficiency of movement? Another consideration is how the rest of you is, i.e. hips, back, ...the way you are walking, and if you have marked deformity of your legs. I have just done something to my back, not sure what, but I am mighty glad I had my knee done because I am relying on it a lot right now...it is the strongest of my legs and I am able to keep moving, which is essential for my back. If I had not had my knee done I don't think I could manage to continue functioning as I am! So having just one strong leg can make a big difference.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.