TKR Total Knee Replacement

Posted , 11 users are following.

I had my left knee replaced on may 17. I had in home therapy. I was walking outside with a cane or nothing in 9 days.Then on June 20 th ( my 29th wedding anniversary )had my right knee replaced.

On the second day in the hospital I got up went to therapy but there was one problem I could not even move my right foot 1 inch up and my foot laying down dropped to the right side. No one seemed to understand my concern I was sent home in 3 days started therapy outside the home. I had a very difficult time moving my leg.. I can pull back my leg at 90°.I to see my doctor and he told me that he would like to see more range of movement in that leg or he will manipulate my leg in the hospital under anesthesia which I'm not very happy about because I would like to go to work by September 1st. But now I have a problem in my left leg I have pins and needles burning sensation from my left outer thigh to my knee on my right leg which is the most recent knee done . I have tightness around the knee joint with pain . I bicycle everyday 20 minutes I walk 6 blocks, I do stretching, I do knee bends and knee stretches and I ice so much. I 'm in so much pain and that 5 milligram of Oxycontin doesn't do much I was wondering am I reacting irrational about not feeling good I've been very depressed, sad, crying, lonely to the point I just wish my life would end really don't want it to end I just can't take the way I am feeling. Does anyone have any suggestions.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi, sounds like your doing too much!!!! Every knee is different, please don't compare them, my first was awful took me monyoto grtget a good bend and 3 wks before I could lift my foot from the floor. My second has been much easier. Make sure you stay hydrated, ice regular and when you sit down don't leave your leg down, elevate it, balance your exercise and rest. It's not a case of the more exercise the more recovery, that can do more harm than good, relax and don't try to rush things

• Posted

Hi, you sound so down, I don't know if I can help but I think you're doing too much. If your knees swell or give you a lot of pain then that's usually your body saying I've had enough now, please can I rest! So you've had two knees replaced in the last two months?  That's a lot to go through.  You shouldn't be bicycling or walking as far as you do. It's still very early days. Don't be rushing to get back to work, you will only do more harm. At 4 weeks after my tkr id only just nicely walked to the end of my road, and couldn't even climb the stairs.  Please give your body a rest, elevate and ice, walk round the house/garden, potter about.  Rest up for 2 or 3 days then gradually increase the walking during the next two or so weeks. I wouldn't even bother using your bike. I'm no expert others with more knowledge/experience on here may advise better, but honestly in my opinion you're doing too much.  Hope you feel better soon, take care. 

• Posted

Thank you, I was just at doc. and he said the same.basically accept to keep up my exercises, and give it time. He told me No more pain pills, they are making me feel hopeless, and helpless.....Going to slow down.
  • Posted

DNiece68, Wow.  Can't imagine having both done so close together.  The depression is coming from the pain you are having....and I would assume lack of sleep.  I did not ride a bike till 6 weeks.  I was doing in home therapy for 1st month....exercises 2x daily.  Walked outside 1st time at 3weeks with PTherapist.  Make sure you are resting also.....2x daily in bed with legs elevated above heart....this is extra rest outside of resting after exercising.  

The he pins and needles feeling is nerves.....they do wake up.  I remember going thru that feeling.  The tightness around knee could be internal swelling.

i remember my doc saying same thing at 1 month visit.  I was still swelling badly and that effects the bend a lot.  By 45 days I was over 100% and 130 by 6 weeks.

listen to your body...rest when needed....very important.  I learned it the hard way.  I still have to rest daily after up and about for 6 hours or more.

i am 5 months post op now and it does get better...promise.

• Posted

Thank you, I went to my doctor today. He said I was doing great, give it time. I was taken off oxcid. How will I handle the pain? I need withdrawal myself to tylenol. ..

• Posted

DNeice,  I agree with you, however, my doc took me off the Oxy quickly too.  HE did give me something else to take at night...Tramadol.  I took extra strength Tylenol during the day and the Tramadol before bed.  Was a bit rough exercising without the pain meds but I made it thru.  Are you in UK or the states?  

Pam

• Posted

So sorry that your going through this! I have felt the same way ! My TKR was in March and I have had TWO manipulations since then! I went through a very dark, depression and ended up on antidepressants, which have really helped! I'm able to handle the emotional side of this journey better!! I still don't have good bend and a lot of pain, but I'm seeing a massage therapist to break up scar tissue and hoping that this works!! I'm not able to walk for very long or ride a bike! I also had weakening in my quad muscle, which hindered my ability to pick up my leg, so I walk like a cripple?? It's getting stronger though! What a journey this has been??

• Posted

Dniece, I'm glad to hear the doctor said to stop with the pain pills, it did sound as if they were causing depression. As others have said, it is normal for both knees to react differently. Like you, I wanted to get on with my life right away, so I chose to have TKR in both knees at the same time. I just wanted it over with. The left knee was the worst one going into the suregery, but it recovered way better than the right - which, 22 months later, I still have some issues with. I'm way better off than I was before the surgery, so I will just relax and accept things for what they are. This group will be a great place for you to check in with and ask questions. It's always helpful knowing from others who've been there (or are there) what the REAL normal is. The text book answers of most surgeons/doctors/PT are nice, but not always a good representation of what to expect. Keep us posted on how things are going.

-Mo

• Posted

The problem with your foot is something my doctor warned me I could face. Sometimes when leg is not straight the can be nerve damage. Usually temporary. I did not end up with it but I am surprised your doctors did not explain the issue. 
  • Posted

Oh boy ,your having a hard time ,you have every right to feel the way your feeling ! I would call anybody who had both knees down one after ther other one brave person ,soooo my point is if you could do that you can do this hon . I have had one month ago today 1 knee replacement surgery and all the pain you are discribing is normal but your pain meds need to be figured out ,i am lucky enough to have a Dr who understood i had to

o try a few different ones till i got to the right ones ,one of them is called pms Gabapentin 100mg ,it really helps for the nervve pain in and around your knee which you might not even be aware of ask your Dr about it . I think the others are right you are doing way to much which im sure you know that to 😏 listen in the long run it is how you treat your after surgery with your Drs help as to the out come ,so talk to doc about meds you will find whats right for you! I also was on oxycotin20 ,take 2 every 4hrs . Good Luck cheer up it WILL get better (its up to you ) and when the time comes enjoy that bike ride even more ! GodBless

• Posted

Hi, you may want to slow down a bit with the exercise and be a bit kinder to yourself.  I had my left knee replacement on 13th May, I have been told exercise twice a day and ice.  I wouldn't worry too much about the new tightness and pain, I have it too and have been told as the numbness goes from the damaged nerves and ligaments the more you will feel the internal healing, the deep cuts to the tissue and tendons, I have quite a lot more pain nowadays and my skin feels really weird half there half dead and don't even get me started on how it feels there when I have pins and needles!!  I really think you sound like you are pushing too hard, two major operations where not only does you flesh get cut and stretched but your bones get hammered into and a foreign body introduced and you have had this done twice in a very short space of time, I'd say you are a Trogan but I really think you should listen to your body and be kinder to yourself, it is important to do the stretches for the best possible outcome visa vie movement but that's all.   You don't say how old you are but 29 years married I'm guessing you are around 50 and the body doesn't bounce back at our age.  Have you tried swimming, this is very forgiving exercise as the lack of gravity, which is not necessary for developing the muscles and stretching the ligaments, makes everything easier and weightlessness is very relaxing.  As for your depression, that sounds horrid but maybe if you stop fighting so hard and feeling that you are not achieving you might feel better, are you alone?  I was lucky enough to meet someone in hospital and we have been supporting one another, also I go to a Physiotherapy exercise class once a week and meet other people there and exchange stories, can you do this.  If not then I would suggest you go talk to your GP.  As for your drop foot if it were me I would make an appointment to see my surgeon and get advice. You also didn't say where you are but if it's the UK then I think you are getting a raw deal visa vie post op help, you might want to look into this too. I feel a bit raw myself at the moment I had a such a good start and now like you I am getting a lot of pain as the nerves and sinews etc mend not to mention I need the right knee doing too which is getting progressively worse but I remind myself how wonderful it is not to have the joint pain on the left side and the rest is temporary. I wish you luck with it all and really well done for recovering so well from TWO major ops regards Suki

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.