TKR with shin pain

Posted , 6 users are following.

I had a TKR of right knee with no issues and then 7 weeks later, I had left knee done. Was doing great for 3 weeks and then siaticia neve on right side started and shin splint also on same side. Pain is unbearable, so much worse then knee surgery. What would help.. am taking 10 mg of oxy every 4 hours, doing stretches, and have tried lidocaine patch( which helps a little)Am desperate.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Ann. Not sure where you are, I am in the UK. Sorry you are in such pain, U had a secondary bleed and the pain then was excruciating. I have been prescribed Pregabalin which helps nerve pain. It is , I think , something for epileptic people, it calms down the nerves in the body which may help the sciatic pain. You would need to speak to your GP. Good luck. Xxx
  • Posted

Hi Ann, I am so sorry about this extra pain you have to deal with. I have had a similar experience. Had a PKR 6 weeks ago and had what I thought was sciatic pain also. You're right, it's worse than the surgical pain. My physical therapist told me it's not sciatica, but something called the IT band...a muscle that runs down the outer side of your leg from hip all the way down by the ankle. She said it's very common. She told me to gently massage the areas as often as possible, use a rolling pin to massage up and down the area, and use heat. It clears up on it's own but you need to watch how you walk so as not to aggravate it.  I don't know if this is what you have, but I thought I'd throw it out there! Water therapy helps also. Good luck.

• Posted

Hi Ann!

So sorry to hear of your sciatica and shin splints pain. I have had sciatica on my right side for the last 30 years. It flares at times which is SO, SO ANNOYING! 😖

My go-to remedies include IcyHot roll-on (a counter-irritant like Ben Gay), STRETCHING, Ibuprofen, and walking. I rotate each of these until I get relief. I have yet to discover what brings on a flare.

In bed try this: Lay on your back. Now slowly and gently turn onto your left side and cross your right leg over your body to produce a spinal twist. This immediately seems to take the pressure off that bugger of a nerve!😁 It gives good relief and allows me to fall asleep pretty well. Try it!

• Posted

Eat clean, be lean, and try some upper body exercise, when able to, if incisions are healed over, pool walk in warm hydro pool. Pain, I know what that is. This is a process. The process of healing takes 12-18 months, and discomfort and pain can be constant, then its suddenly better and we can resume our lives, better able to walk and get back our mobility. Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.