To anyone who was throwing up, had nausea and felt sick but recovered 100%after gallbladder surgery

Posted , 5 users are following.

I need some words of comfort please. will it get better? What were your symptoms and how are you feeling today?

0 likes, 35 replies

35 Replies

Next
  • Posted

hi

i rarely come on here now as we tend to blog on when we are suffering. So i saw your question and yes 4 years ago now i had my gallbladder removed and immediately my nausea pain and colic vomiting attacks stopped.

my symptoms started 15 years before i had my gallbladder removed i was misdiagnosed for those 15 years i had generally once a year a really bad vomiting attack the pain was unbearable i felt like my ribs were broken and my intestines on fire i couldnt stop vomiting continually for hours and then i would go to the gp or ring them and be told to take buscopan and antisick meds and as quickly as it started it all went . they would ask did i have pain under myright rib but i hadit all across so i was told its a sickness bug . i lated realised i had a gallstone stuck hence the agony and continiousvomiting until the antispasmodic drugs stopped the spasms in my gallbladder .... i started feeling billious a lot iwastold i had a nervous stomach and prepscribed gaviscon which i munched on regularly to control my billiousness. i found as the years went by that a vegetarian diet suited me then i cut out fat and by the time i was correctly diagnosed i was living on a diet of boiledpotatoes and vegtables toast weetabix no caffeine no sugar no fat and i hadnt had a bad vomiting attack for several years . but i started to have continious gnawing pain like a mouse was nibbling under my right rib and i as usual had the nausea. so i went to a new gp who sent me immediately for a scan my gallbladder was packed with enormous stones .. and i was bookedfor removal within 6 weeks .. i was terrified of the operation but it was day surgery key hole i was home in the evening nibbling toast. next day no nausea i felt so well i cried i hadnt realised how unwell i had been . something rotten had been removed and i feltso much better. within 3 days i was eating nornally and i ate a bag of maltessers i felt fine . my stitches etc took 6 weeks to recover but i was upand aboutjust being careful. now i had astraightforward gallstones problem and i thinkifthats what you have you do recover well . if you have other issues disfunctioning bile duct pancreatus jaundice etc etc you may have symptoms after. my advice in hindsight when u recover dont stuff yourself asi did ... suddenly i could eat fatty food and i made upfor 15 years put weight on and didnt realise we are prone to fatty liver after removal and i now have one .. so eat sensibly and healthly and enjoy .plus be aware you dont digest food as well as others so you may struggle to digest wheat not all gluten but just certain types ... hope hat helps

• Posted

Hi! It will get better, but it does take time. I was having a lot of issues in the beginning, and still experiencing issues now; some days worse than others, but overall I'm feeling much, much better. I had my gall bladder removed in January of this year. Just remember you had an organ removed that's been with you since birth, so your body's system has to re-group or re-think how to move & groove without the gall bladder. : )

Hang in there! It gets better! Wishing you a healthy healing! Take care! : )

• Posted

Thanks a lot. i am 10 weeks post op and can't eat. i am nauseous, sometimes, i have dry heaves, weak, lightheaded and tired. I have pain in my back and in my abdomen. I am bloated and feel sick after eating.

• Posted

Hi Lynette,

What issues did you have after your gallbladder surgery and how long before you started to feel a little better? I had my gallbladder removed 8 weeks ago today and like many of us on here, have been very sick after with nausea, pain where the gallbladder used to be and across my upper abdomen. I'm on a bland diet. Did you experience any of this or still do? I glad to hear things are better for you and hope you continue to get better. Its not an easy thing to go through. Hope you're having a good day!

• Posted

Hi Johnette,

My symptoms after surgery were extreme nausea, chest pains, frequent blocked gas, jitters, mild diarrhea and fatigue. Presently, I still deal with nausea, occasional chest pains, and I do experience pain where the gall bladder was once at. I figured out that my chest pains would coincide with what I ate, so I had to be more vigilante on my part to pay attention to what I eat. My jitters came from being dehydrated because I would be so depressed about the after- surgery symptoms & pain, that I wasn't drinking enough fluids. So, I have to pay more attention to myself, watched what I eat, and I drink a lot of water with slice lemons. My nausea is my main culprit now, so my doctor prescribed me anti-nausea pills. As I stated, I feel much better now, and I take it day by day. It's definitely not easy, especially when the doctors don't tell you about "the after surgery symptoms". It can be scary and depressing, but this forum to me is a great source of support!

Wishing you continued healthy healing!

• Posted

Sorry you still have some issues but good to hear you have gotten better. I hope you continue to improve every day. How long ago was your surgery and when did you start to feel a little better? This has all been so shocking to me going through as I wasn't expecting. I wish doctor's would make patients more aware that these side effects. It's not an easy road...

• Posted

Hi Johnette,

I'm functioning very well. I do get tired at times, but overall my energy level is good. I had my surgery this past January, so 10 months ago. I try not to eat any fried food or fast food. If I do eat fast food, it's not fries, burgers, tacos, etc. Because of the grease / fried causes me a lot of issues; chest pains.

I eat my meats baked or broiled, I eat all types of veggies, pastas, sandwiches & soups, etc. Soups are easier for me because I know what to add or not to add when I make It. It truly depends on what your body can handle.

The blocked gas does go away, but when it's unbearable, I take gas relief tablets to help alleviate the pressure & gas.

I didn't start feeling better until about 7 months after surgery, and as I stated before some days everything is good, and some days are not. But, everyday is a new day, and I had to push forward.

It will get better, but it does take time.

Take care!

• Posted

i really appreciate you taking the time out of your busy schedule to comfort us. may God bless you.

• Posted

Thank you so much for your response. I'm so glad you are functioning well now. You've been through a lot and for such a long period of time. How'd you get through it? It's really tough. What anti-sickness medicine has worked for you? I've tried some but they either don't work or make me sleepy so I can't function. It's really hard to because I feel there is no support from doctors to help you deal with these symptoms. The only thing they can do is prescribe medicine. My doctor acts like he's never heard of it taking this long to feel better after gallbladder removal. You feel so alone dealing with it and it gets depressing. I am thankful for this forum and being able to talk with others who understand what you are going through and can offer some insight.

• Posted

do you mean at 7 months your energy was back? you were able to function normally? Also, where you ever light-headed? if yes, what helped you ?

• Posted

Hi Josephine 5,

My blocked gas does go away gradually on its on, but I do take gas relief pills to help at times. Blocked gas hurts, so I try to help it along. : )

What I try not to eat is fried food ..I stay away from it as much as possible because it causes me issues, such as diarrhea & chest pains. Hamburger is another culprit for me, so I eat that very seldom. I love salsa & chips, but 2 wks ago, I had salsa twice within that time frame and it caused diarrhea both times; I mean stomach pain / cramps, that has never happened to me with eating salsa .... so now I know I can't eat that. It's a process of elimination. I love soups, veggies, chicken, turkey, sandwiches, salads, it just depends on taste. I drink a lot of water with lemon slices / juice.

• Posted

Hi Josephine 5,

My energy level came back gradually, but I have a handicapped son, so I had no choice but to get up and move because I had to take care of him. I'm functioning normal, but I was depressed afterwards because I was having all these pains & issues. I still get chest pains, pain where the gallbladder was at, gas, & nausea. I'm nauseated everyday, so I'm getting blood work done this week to check my liver function. I was never lightheaded, but I made sure I rested a lot after the surgery.

It does get better, but it takes time. Trust me a few months back, I was a nervous wreck, depressed, and worried a lot. But, slowly I started feeling better, and plus I pushed myself a little each day.

Hang in there!😊

Take care!

• Posted

Hi Johnette 68,

I take it one day at a time, and I pushed myself a little each day. I was prescribed promethazine, it helps me alot, but here lately the nausea has been daily and lasting all day, so I'm having blood work done, just to check my liver function. This forum to me provides that extra support & information for anyone having gall bladder surgery. Hang in there Johnette!

Take care!

• Posted

how many times a day were you eating before the 7 months post op? i am sorry for asking too many questions, i am just curious. because at 11 weeks i am still struggling to eat and i am weak and lightheaded with nausea. i even have stomach cramps.

• Posted

Hi Josephine 5,

For the first 3 weeks, I could only eat jell-o, applesauce, mash potatoes, and drink broth; I ate this twice a day or tried to.

As time progressed, I slowly introduced other food textures.

Everyone's experience will be different based on your body, but regardless of what your doctor say; seek medical attention if you need too.

Take care!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.