To take or not to take?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was prescribed Citalopramjust ten days ago, because of extreme stress, like overreacting to simple things which causes my neck to go stiff, bp going up suddenly, confused, not able to make choices in really simple decisions, just not coping normally, not wanting to meet my friends but not wanting to be alone?? crazy, I know.  doctor said it was depression and anxiety.  Gave me some diaz 2mg to take for couple of weeks while waiting for Citalopram to kick in.  I take the diaz sparingly- only about 3 times so far, half a pill, - dont want to get dependent. (they are actually good for flight anxiety which i get big time lol) Thing is  hate medication. I always try to use natural remedies for any problem. I dont feel the despair other users on this forum feel. I am using meditation, getting out early for beach walks, having massage, steering clear of alcohol, caffeine, vit and mineral supplements, my partner is organising treats etc, and being very supportive. Any advice would be much appreciated.  My gut feeling is not to take them.

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Medication isnt for everyone so what i am about to say is my personal opinion only, as it is totally up to you if you decide you should take meds or not. But i have been on Citalopram for 3 years. Started on 10mg, moving to 20mg, then 40mg. They have changed my life. When i miss a couple i can definitly tell. I am an emoional wreck without them. They do make me feel slightly sick every now and again but this only happens about once a day for approx 30 seconds-ish.

I think that whether you have to take meds or not, whatever makes you feel better, stronger and able to live your life more happily and feel less stressed and anxious then go for it, and if Meds are what it takes to do that then why not. Life is too short. Do whatever you need to do smile ...

xx

• Posted

Thanks very much Niccik for this.  Do you remember if you had bad side effects at first?  Anne
  • Posted

I can so empathise with tnat Anne. I was on them 6 months . Once settled on20 I was really good but my GP wanted me off them in short term. Took a year . I think I was still good at 10 maybe even 5 but once off and amonth without  I felt tne anxiety returning so even tho I have some cit in the box I started st jons wort 334 mg daily about 3 weeks ago. In fact altho I had ordered some online I had to dash up to a herbalist and get a pkt...My GP had suggested this before cit. I initially dismissed it as Hokey Cokey ! However am giving it a try and trying not to get swayed by silly irritating things ruining my day   Here on this board we all understand . I don't think I am as STRONG  if u understand as wen on cit but don't have as many side effects. Getting up and on with things does helpi agree. My husband is very supportive , just wants me calm and content, says I gave nothing really to worry about but it doesn't work like that does it! But I agree with nick in that we are all differant and need to do exactly what she says in her last paragraph....however I am loathe to give in and go back to cit...I actually feel as tho anxiety has haunted me all my life of 60 years and in a way I have to learn to deal with it...I woke this am , felt a bit low but gave come to sit drink coffee watch bake off☺️☕️ And feel more energised even after texting positively to you. Am off out to coffee and the gym now! We are going few days abroad tomoro so heck I should feel good and blessed . Good luck 
    • Posted

Thanks, Gillian, that's all very useful.  I get what you're saying about learning to deal with it. I too feel that pills may be ok short term, but they don't actually solve the problem long term - not for me anyway, altho I know folk who take cit more or less permanently and thats fine if it suits them -horses for courses!  Will research St Johns Wort.  I do hope it helps you. I am taking magnesium and I am sleeping better and palpitations have stopped.  I firmly believe its due to this - every little helps.  Like you I would prefer to find the natural long term solution.  I know some people have many side effects from cit.  You sound very positive. Enjoy your break, hope its to the sun, thats always helpful.  Not sure where you live, but I'm in N Ireland and lack of sunshine is not good for your body! 
    • Posted

North of England! It's as bad as Ireland...well maybe a bit drier! Yes ..near Barcelona...I take vit d tablets...my GP suggested that and said I wud be amazed his many GP s take it. You always think othere peoples lives are perfect tho don't u.. Others have said I am positive but tfs a struggle to act thru at times. I do feel a lot of this is in my head as in overthinking etc. I did read a book calked stop thinking start living by Richard Carlson..I think...I got it on kindle and hi lighted bits that I could then go back and refer to. Dip and read and remind myself to stop dwelling on things that haven't even happened....someone mentioned Bausch rescue remedy spray. I didn't use it whilst on cit but I gave found it useful ..at other times..or the placebo..I don't care as long as it works to be honest...I am sleeping ok on st j w but I did ok on cit except for waking up visits to loo..but I find mysrlf having very weird dreams which I did on cit as well...I wake up and have to try and remember it was only a dream and can't harm me..like ones thoughts really..blow them away...😏😉
    • Posted

Actually my son lives in the north and its better than here..anywhere is better than here!  Vit D sounds good, must see how much is in my multi-vit.  And yes, actually it is amazing how many people have problems, esp those you think wouldn't need help. This site has let me see how many people are suffering, and modern life doesnt help really.                   Making the effort is half the battle Gillian.  I remember years ago being seriously depressed due to certain circumstances, and I was advised, get up and shower, make your breakfast,,etcetc.. do the things mechanically and the feeling will come back.  So even if you are acting it thru sometimes, its very positive. You sound like you are making an effort, which is what I am doing too.   The more you do something like not dwelling, the less your mind will do it. Its like CBT. A lot of problems are in our head Gillian, thats why I would like to conquer it.  It feels so good when you make progress.  Just looking at this guy on amazon.  There are so many of his books.  I shall download the one you have  on to my kindle.  Will let you know how it goes.  By the way, if you havent tried it meditation can help, and it simply means ten mins a day of mindfulness, a lot of people think its something more difficult or weird.  Thanks for the chat and ideas, enjoy your hol, keep up the good work, will get back to you at some stage for a catch up. Anne
    • Posted

That's all correct! Yes I go to meditation as well altho have lapsed abit as has been coinciding with my gym class but I learnt how to do it and I even try it when am in bed going off to sleep to clear my head
  • Posted

Yes i did Anne. Every morning i felt so so sick. I didnt actually vomit but i was close... I was tired and had headaches too. This only lasted a couple of weeks though.

xxx

• Posted

I have done a lot of research online into natural supplements to help depression and anxiety. St Johns Wart is supposed to be good. And Cod Liver Oil. I take both of those too. I dont think i hav ebeen taking them regularly enough to see a difference. Or long enough. But that might be worth a try as well?!... Studies have shown them both to be effective.

xxx

• Posted

There is a book called Overcoming Low Self Esteem, a Self Help Guide using Cognitive Behavioural Techniques. Is by Melanie Ferrel and its the book CBT therapists ask you to work through before and during CBT therapy. Its great and really helps you control your own intrusive and negative thoughts. It helps you focus on the present and to think more positively. Basically training your mind into a more stable state. It would definitly be worth a try.... Xxx
    • Posted

Thanks, niccik, for all your suggestions. Anne x
  • Posted

Thanks, everyone, for your kind help.  Its really appreciated. I certainly have plenty of ideas to help me.  Will let you know how I get on later.smile
  • Posted

Hi Anne,

I have taken Citalopram in the past and really helped me out when I went through a realy rough bout of depression it brought me back to my right self with support from family and friends. When i started I was on 20mg which was too much for me i found out I was very sensitive to antidepressents as had tried other ones before, I came down to 10mg and really helped me control my anxiety and depression. 

I have recently decided to go back on it after been off nearly 7 months as found myself sometimes crying for no reason, found it hard to hold myself together after work and my anxiety was making me so nervous and stopped doing things i used to really enjoy. I coudnt concentrate which really didnt help at work, id have to ask people to repeat things and just felt lousy. 

Id give it a bit longer and see how you feel as can take longer with different people to kick in. It was over a month before i started feeling better but so glad i stuck with it and to be honest wish i had stayed on for longer instead of coming off when i was feeling better as i kind of tricked myself thinking i wouldnt need them again as i was all fixed. Im starting to notice now when i see myself going downhill and thats why i have decided to go back on them for a longer period. 

I hope this helps and if you need to chat were here. 

• Posted

Mark, thanks for telling me about your experience with citalopram. I haven't actually taken it yet, I wanted to hear from people who had, to make an informed decision.. Reading your post makes me think that for some folk its maybe providing a substitute for something their body lacks, and it works very well in that way. And perhaps in some cases will do so for the rest of your life on and off. And only a small dose is needed, which is even better. Thanks for telling me. The only thing you didnt mention was side effects, if you wouldn't mind telling me, do you remember what they were/are like. Thanks, Anne
    • Posted

Hi Anne to be honest i just found my sleep got disrupted and felt a bit more tired in the mornings and initally you might feel a bit worse on the drug so a bit more down but thats natural as you body is just getting used to it but I have come through the other end now and so much more forward thinking and been productive about my life. Just finalised a trip to the USA and going to fly via Iceland on the way to the UK for christmas as Im based in Australia. I hope this helps. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.