To those who take actetyl-L-Carnitine, when to stop?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi there,

A bit of my background, I was diagnosed with Graves in May 2016 and while my Tfrees have been normal after meds my TSH stayed suppressed (<0.01) for the longest time until I started taking acetyl-L-carnitine. My TSH is now in normal range and my endo says my blood work is "excellent". I went from taking ACL 500mgs every day to now every other day bc my TSH is consistently rising. My question is, when do I stop taking it? I know it's not supposed to be a long term thing and my goal is to be meds free altogether. Any advice would be appreciated 🙂

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Cecelo, if your blood work is excellent I take it that you are euthyroid. In that case, it is much less likely that you are Carnitine deficient. I took AL-Carnitine 500mg for about 2 years. After feeling better I forgot most days about Carnitine and afterwards did not bother to take it. 

It is a better idea to taper your dose like you are doing and then eventually stop taking it. 

• Posted

Hi Cecelo

I had the same history.  I stopped taking mine when my doctor confirmed my antibodies were measuring normal as well as ALL my thyroid tests.  I had hit a TSH of 2.5 when I stopped taking it and it gradually fell over the next 8 months or so and then all of a sudden on its own it started to rise again and stayed there for quite a while.  Recently, it started to drop again after I experienced a lot of stress so I have restarted 500 mg of Acetyl.  I agree with what Dan said.  Gradual decreases are best.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.