To use or not to use propanalol?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all! I've been suffering with crippling anxiety, daily panic attacks and agoraphobia since July. I've had 2 previous episodes of this a decade ago. I've been on 15mg cipralex for a long time but in July it just seemed to stop wime img overnight! The GP advised meto up my dose to 20mg but I couldn't tolerate it. Was so groggy and nauseous. So I split the difference and now take 17.5mg cipralex. My body tolerates it but it has made zero difference to my anxiety. The GP has now prescribed propanalol 80mg...40mg twice a day. I'm afraid to take it. I have naturally low blood pressure and I don't think the GP has taken this into consideration. Does anyone with lo blood pressure take propanalol?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Gabrielle sorry to hear your going through this. I haven’t low blood pressure but I’ve taken propanalol for nearly 2 years on and off and it’s a god send. I’m on 40mg 3 times a day. Don’t know weather this is any help to you xx
    • Posted

Thank you Karen for your reply. I know I should just take the tablet but my mind is stopping me. I'm worried about any initial  side effects as anything I've tried so far has knocked me off my feet. I must be very sensitive to medication. 

• Posted

Hi Gabrielle im also very sensitive to tablets but these have not affected me at all xx
    • Posted

The 10mg made me quite drowsy for a while and now I'm light headed. I also feel quite breathless but was like that before I took the med. I'm going to persevere though and hope it gets better. It's strange how I feel...like my anxiety hasn't been out in a glass box and I can see it, still know it's there but can't feel it.

• Posted

Hi know the feeling only to well but it does get better xx
    • Posted

Thank you karen for giving me the confidence to persevere with the propanalol. Doctors can tell us they're ok to take but it's only by talking to people who've taken the meds can we truly understand. Xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.