Told I have gum disease but confused

Posted , 2 users are following.

Been for an NHS checkup today and the dentist said that I have gum disease. The BPE was 4, 0, 1 across the top and 1, 2, 4 across the bottom.

I've been using invisible braces since April and the dentist said she is worried they have done a lot of damage and contributed to the gum disease. She said she's worried I may lose the back two teeth on the upper right. She recommended that I get a scale and polish asap and have one every three months. She'll then x-ray the teeth again in 6 months.

However, I'm a bit confused. The braces only cover the front two thirds of the teeth and not the rear ones where the gum disease seems to be, which makes me wonder how they can have done 'a lot of damage'. When I asked about which teeth were bad for plaque she said all the teeth. But the BPE suggests to me it is only the two areas with 4 scores in particular. I also brush several times a day with an electric tooth brush and use teepee brushes daily.

Also, I have had sensitivity when using teepee brushes on the teeth in the upper right back for most of the year (predating the braces). I visited the hygienist for a scale and polish in July and when she tried to clean that area it was too sensitive and started bleeding so she just moved on and left it.

I'm now seeing the hygienist next week for another scale and polish. However, I'm quite scared now as I imagine the same thing will happen with the upper right back area being too painful, plus the dentist said there is no way to get rid of gum disease. Is this the case and does the dentist's assessment sound accurate given the BPE scores? Also, should the hygienist give me some kind of anaesthetic for the painful area and clean it rather than just leave it like last time?

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

I don't have any braces experience but I have a lot with dentists so if you havry doubts about your doctor maybe you should see another one just to have an extra opinion no strings attached. Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.