Told I may need a root canal, have some questions?

Posted , 1 user is following.

About a year ago I went to the dentist as a piece of my tooth at the back had chipped off, turns out it was due to a cavity I hadn't noticed as it was right at the back and I couldn't see it. Anyway, the dentist did a filling for me, and afterwards said that if I got any more problems or any pain, come back as I may need a root canal. I've since moved dentists and went yesterday as the filling has fallen out. She looked at my tooth, and to my surprise said there was still a cavity there! That came as a shock, but ah well, they're going to have to sort the tooth out anyway I thought. The real shock came to me when she said during my next appointment she would let me know whether she thought I needed a root canal. I've had absolutely no problems with this tooth other than this filling falling out, no pain, no sensitivity, nothing at any point. She also suggested either way I get a partial crown, so next appointment I'm going to get that prepared.

She doesn't seem to be booking me in for this root canal for a good few weeks, but I'm beginning to wonder whether or not I should get a second opinion. I had x-rays done yesterday which she looked at, and I told her I'd had no problems with the tooth, so how she didn't know yesterday whether or not I would need one is beyond me. If there's a cavity deep enough she thinks I might need a root canal, I'm anxious to wait until she tells me. If I do need one, I'll probably be waiting a good few weeks where I'm waiting for it to get worse, and I've been told that you're usually put on antibiotics if they're prepping you for root canal, which hasn't been mentioned. Equally, if it turns out I don't need one, it's like a ticking time bomb. The longer I wait, the longer I'm giving this cavity to spread, which could result in needing one!

Either way I'll have to wait until Monday now, but I'd like to know if I need a root canal before I go and get a partial crown prepared (as I'll probably need a full one of I do need it done), and I want to know if it's 100% necessary, because if it's not, I want this cavity out before it is!

Any thoughts?

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.