Tonsillitis or throat cancer??

Posted , 5 users are following.

So about 3 weeks ago I can down with a nasty bout of strep, I had a low fever, some chills, some pain swallowing. Well it lasted a week and it didnt get any better so I finally went to the doctor and was prescribed antibiotics for 10 days. Around the 4th day of taking them the strep went away. So basically 9 days later after feeling great I woke up with this sore throat, had some pain swallowing. The next day I wake up and its unbearable, the pain when trying to swallow is nothing like I had before, on top of this I noticed some bumps on the side of my tongue and the bumps were a little bigger than the size of a Beebe.

So I go to the doctor that day and he looks at my tongue and says everything is fine, there is some slight swelling but I guess nothing alarming, he looked at my throat and said my tonsils looked a little red and slightly swollen but he attributed this to the weather change, 70 degrees one day, 20 degrees and snowing the next, I live in Chicago lol plus my gf was with me and told the doc I sleep with my mouth open and our home is very dry. So he attributed everything to that. That was on Thursday and today is Saturday and the pain is still very intense when swallowing. My tonsils are swollen and red, I see some tonsil stones as well, very very small but its making my throat and tongue hurt, can this be tonsillitis or something worse. I'm afraid its throat or mouth cancer and I'm freaking out!

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi. Sorry you are suffering. If the doctor was worried it was anything else he would refer you on for more tests but I would press for some more help, perhaps a bad bout of tonsillitis? Hope you feel better soon but I’m sure if you had anything bad your doctor would have acted.
  • Posted

I've had swollen/red tonsils for approaching 4 weeks now, apparently it's nothing serious.

Keep monitoring them and see how things progress, if there's no change then perhaps see another Doctor. :-) 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.