Too fat to be a mum!?!

Posted , 7 users are following.

[color=indigo:52b4f0af0b][/color:52b4f0af0b]

Hi All

I started Orlistat yesterday. Need to lose weight to get my BMI down, otherwise we can't get IVF (or adopt).Can't get NHS unless BMI is below 30 (currently about 39) and private clinics wont' give you IVF unless it's under 35. It's devastating so gonna work really hard and fingers crossed, we'll get there. :cry:

Been reading lots of old posts and can I just say you all sound FANTASTIC!! There's just so much support on here and the information is brilliant. I asked the doc for the tablets and she gave them to me with no information.

Look forward to hearing from you all and good luck with the weight loss.

Hugs x x x

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Welcome Troodles

Wow you have the ultimate motivation don't you?

It seems quite common for Dr's to dish these out without information. Most people on here (and this is what I do) seem to stick to the same rules:

1) no more than 30g of fat per day

2) no more than 15g of fat per meal

3)count calories as well as fat.

Oh the other thing (and I'm not prying it does depend on your particular circumstances) a BMI of 40 can reduce your chances of concieving by over 40%. Stick to the diet and you may not need the IVF.

Anyway a bit of extra exercise will help :wink:

• Posted

Troodles,

that has to be the ultimate in inspiration (well, may be short of the \"lose weight or die\" statement). I do hope you succeed.

Best of luck,

Lelly (also BMI 39)

• Posted

Thanks Sash

That's agreat help as it's soooo confusing. Hopefully I'm doing well (no oil yet!!).

Unfortunately I could weigh 7 stone and still need IVF as have a problem with my tubes. Weighing less and lower BMI still increases chance of pregnancy through IVF though so determined to work hard. Bought a Wii Fit and was doing really well but haven't used it for over a week. Today though, I walked for miles because of the tube strike so that should help!

Thanks Lelly

Think the lose weight or die bit came when I got Type 1 diabetes so really should be looking like Kate Moss by now!! LOL

Thanks for the messages girls, they mean a lot and look forward to hearing about your fantastic success (and hopefully telling you about mine).

Troodles x x x

• Posted

Hi, I recently bought the Wii active for the Wii fit and that is great, I really enjoy looking forward to using it every day, and from me that is great as I am not the world's best keep fitter.

Good luck, Mandy

• Posted

Thanks hun, will have to have a look for it.

Will definitely get back on the Wii fit though, I did enjoy it and could feel it working. Just laziness I suppose.

X x x

• Posted

Hi Troodles,

hey, if bad news were enough to provoke weight loss I think we'd all be 7 stone by now. But I'm not. My target is to get to 13 stn. Then I will look like a normal human being. I did it once before but hubby was a little upset as my boobs vanished (not that they are big to start with).

But it will be worth it as I have a load of lovely clothes I want to wear again.

So keep it going. We will succeed.

Lelly xx

• Posted

[color=green:fdc950da1e]Hiya Troodles,

My motivation to lose weight is the same..I'd love another baby and i'm running out of time. I've been on the tablets now for 5 weeks and to date have lost 31 lbs :lol:

I'm really determined to lose it and have started walking, using my exercise bike and my lateral thigh trainer every day. (just in 10 min bursts for now as i'm recovering from a long term injury)

The only time i'll EVER put weight on again is if i'm lucky enough to get pregnant again :wink:

Best of luck for you and your future little one!

:D[/color:fdc950da1e]

• Posted

I'm single with no kids through choice - please tell me this forum isn't going to turn into a baby talk forum.

pretty please.

But if it does - well I can live with that, everyone here is so supportive you deserve to have the babies you want.

• Posted

Of course it's not....but if we can get these folk pregnant (or at least their spouse's can) then they'll be happy!!!!
  • Posted

Don't worry, it won't be mentioned again. But why read a post about weight being an issue for being a mum if you've no interest? And why post something that's gonna make people feel they can't talk about things that matter to them.. it's just mean.

That was my first ever post on this forum and now this one may just be the last, cheers.

• Posted

Please don't let one thoughtless person put you off the forum. It is a great site for advise and hopefully a bit of fun. I was not overweight when my husband and I was trying for our first baby, took us three years with a little help, he is now a strapping 6ft 18 year old. Fortunately needed no help with the 2nd who is a delightful 16 year old with the mind of a two year old. He is a handful, has severe learning difficulties, keeps us awake until 6am at least once a week, but wouldn't swop him for the world.

Please keep on posting, and good luck with both the weight loss and conceiving. Practice, practice and practice some more.

That's all I'm going to say on the subject so as not to offend anyone who has issues with babies and disabled children.

Mandy

• Posted

Thanks to all for the encouraging and supportive messages. Just like hopingfora2nd this was my first post on here and I can't believe what I've just read from Sashh!! Sorry if the most important thing in my life is boring you but as someone as already said, why read a thread about being a mum if you're not interested.

Good luck to all with the weight loss and even more to those in the same position as me who want to be a mum and have a baby.

Please feel free to post anything about your hopes/dreams/heartache/stress etc on here and I, like many others, will to be happy to read and respond.

Hugs to all

Troodles x

PS Had a bad day yesterday, was our 2nd wedding anniversary and we stayed in London. I fell off the wagon (but not as much as I thought I might). Wii Fit out later and no treats!! x

• Posted

I didn't mean to upset anyone. Sorry I was joking. Really sorry if you think I'm being mean.
  • Posted

All - Let's not lose [color=red:4a673243bf]anybody[/color:4a673243bf] from this forum. We all agree how helpful it is, whatever our motivation for losing weight.

Troodles - good luck with your weightloss, I don't have children, but truly hope it happens for you. Sashh - good luck with your weight loss too - don't go away.

x

• Posted

Hi all

I have just been prescribed the blue ones have been on these since Monday, I lost a baby 3 years ago and now they seem to think i am too heavy to concieve so am now trying anything to help, good luck to all of you in your weight loss

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.