Too high a dose of cit?

Posted , 2 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

Hello, have been on cit for 11 weeks. First 3 weeks on 30mg, then 40mg last 8 weeks. I upped it myself, as didn't think 30 was enough, doctor agreed it shortly afterwards. Thought cit was working for first 5 weeks. Then last 6 weeks have had appalling anxiety, and seemed to get depressed again. Doctor doesn't think cit is working, going to see a physciatrist. Today I lowered dose to 30mg, and don't feel quite so anxious. Could the 40mg dose have been too strong, and caused me to get worse. There are many reasons I may not be quite so anxious Today, but wondered if anyone has experience feeling better after lowering cit dose?

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I told you I did..I felt better after lowering my dose..
    • Posted

Hello Lois, thanks for your reply. I don't know how long you were on your higher dose. I'm curious, as today I would have thought I would be really anxious, but it's a bit lower. Was on 30mg for 3 weeks, then 40 for last 8 weeks. I thought i improved for first 5 weeks slightly, then bam really intense anxiety, for last 6 weeks, and starting to feel depressed again

Do you think that 40mg was too High, as after 2 weeks on 40mg that's when intense anxiety really started? Could dropping 10mg make much difference? I haven't recovered, so thought that 40mg would give me best chance of recovery. Is it possible for 40mg to be too high for some people? Thanks

• Posted

I was on the max seroxat dose for a long time, so thought I should be on max dose for cit. There are so many variables involved. Only thought today that possibly it's too High, hence last 6 weeks intense anxiety.

• Posted

I lasted two weeks on 20...and as soon as my phychiatrist lower it due to iam very sensitive to Medications..I felt instant relief..Al though it still took me 8 months te recovered it was definitely a relief for me on a lower dose..
    • Posted

You should never think a higher is going to produce relief quicker or better.. Because if I recovered on 10.that should tell you something..
    • Posted

Sorry for bothering you. I read a discussion from a few months back, you were involved in. Someone said that they were pacing and wringing their hands. Pysc saw this as a sign to decrease dose. I pace like mad, my dad noticed around 2 weeks after going up to 40mg. You can't believe how much I pace around while vaping. And I can't sit down for long, and my parents really irritate me irrationally when I stay with them. Will mention this to pysc. Will stay on 30mg for now, unless pysc says something different. Lois to the rescue again? I hope so.

• Posted

Yes I was having that conversation with JoJo .her son and I had hand wringing and pacing back and fourth from the dose been too high and producing high intensity effects of anxiety..
    • Posted

Sorry, I missed one of your posts. Thank you. You may be onto something here. I dropped dose Today, and anxiety has dropped a bit. Will stay on lower 30mg for now, and will bring this up with pysc. Any change will take a while to arrange, so will monitor 30mg for next couple of weeks to see. Still want cit to do it for me. The word pacing in the older post, really struck home, as I've been doing it excessively for last 5 weeks. Didn't think much of it, but dad noticed it, and thinking about it, my pacing is extreme.

• Posted

Just found something called akathasia. The description matches exactly what I've experienced, and yourself, possibly due to too high a dose. Usually gets misdiagnosed as anti depressants not working, so increase dose which makes it worse. The side effects are exactly what I'm feeling/having. Will owe you big time if this turns out to be the case.

• Posted

Apparently, people have a 20% chance of experiencing Akathasia if using an ssri. It talks about it giving you relentless anxiety both emotionally and physically, and can be dangerous. Treatment is to lower dose or switch ad. During last 6 weeks of anxiety, I've rarely felt tired. Relentless anxiety describes it very well. I can't believe how well this matches what's happend with me. I thought cit was working in first 4 to 5 weeks, looking back, then the relentless anxiety regardless, since the higher dose would have started to kick in, and gradually getting worse. Looking forward to see what happens over next few days. Its hard when you are suffering to distinguish between depression and intense anxiety. Perhaps distinguishing between them is something thats over looked.

• Posted

You are absolutely correct about your research...that's exactly how I felt..with that horrible akathesia..drop my dose and the wringing and pacing disappeared...

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up