too scared to take citalopram

Posted , 7 users are following.

i was prescribed citalopram last week for my anxiety disorder, however i also suffer from emetophobia (fear of vomiting) and this is making me absolutely terrified to take it. i just wanted to know if any of you have suffered? and how bad? also is there any ways i can avoid nausea when taking it?

0 likes, 9 replies

Report / Delete

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi gabriellamarie

What dose have you been prescribed?  Maybe if you started on only 5mg and eased onto it gradually it might lessen the side effects?  Nausea can be a side effect but doesn't mean you'll get it, and if easing onto the meds slowly then the feeling should be less.

One thing I was advised to have during a cruise on rough sea last year, was to drink ginger ale.  Worked a treat!  

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

hi katecogs,

ive been prescribed 10mg and was thinking about taking them before bed. im not so worried about other side effects, only nausea/sickness.

thank you for your advice, i really appreciate it x

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I wouldn't take them at all. I took them for a week. I know it wasn't long. But I felt awful on them. I had bad palpitations and almost collapsed at work. I also had a constant headache that even pain meds wouldn't shift. I was only on 5mg. I stopped them after 7 days and I don't think I should of just stopped although tiny dose. I feel weird and spaced out and still have the headache. I only started them to ease my ibs symptoms obviously I didn't give them long enough but I couldn't handle the side effects. I'm gonna try to do this with natural meds. They didn't make me feel nauseous though. So if that's all you are worried about and you really need them, give them a go.
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi gabriellamarie

Some people take them before bed and some in the morning.  I've always taken mine in the morning.  I think whatever is suitable for you.  They don't suit everyone, but if you can tolerate the side effects for a while you'll find they're really helpful.  The side effects do wear off and for me it took around 3-4 months until I started feeling the benefits.  I recovered from 15 years of anxiety/depression on these and had taken all sorts of other meds beforehand.

Like cosmickitty says, a lot of people do feel nauseous but are not sick.  I was never sick, just felt queasy and heady.  It passes.

You may find your appetite may subside a bit, but again this is normal for a while.  If you have anorexia it may be a little worrying, but no doubt you're seeing your doctor regular too.

Taking a smaller dose may take longer for you to feel the full benefit, and of course you may feel side effects again when you up the dose. If you can tolerate 5mg then I'm sure eventually when you up to 10mg it'll be the same.

Remember these take a long time to take effect and many people quit far too early.  You have to persevere and push through.  The side effects do disappear in time.  For me, the side effects weren't half as bad as my anxiety/depression and now knowing the result, then I'd go through it again without a doubt.

K x

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I had every side effect when I started taking this drug. I was super nauseous, but I never vomitted, I never even came close to throwing up. I couldn't really eat for almost 2 weeks without feeling sick, but it passed pretty quickly. I was started at 5mg and then went up to 10mg and am now at 20mg. It takes a few weeks to get the good effects, but please don't quit after a week or two. If you can stick it out, this drug is really great.
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

thank you, its very reassuring to know that you weren't physically sick.

i was actually thinking of halving my dose at first, so it wasnt too shocking to my body, do you think this could help? also should i take it at night time? x

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I started taking citalopram 20 mg 1 month ago. I also have been working on dealing with my emetophobia and anxiety, but am taking the citalopram mainly for depression. I was very nervous about nausea/vomiting too since I was reading horror stories on the internet. I decided I was feeling so miserable that even vomiting wouldn't be much worse than how I was feeling. Turns out, though, I did not have either of those side effects! The only thing I noticed when I first started taking it was that my pupils were very dilated and I felt like I had taken something like ecstasy. That went away after about 3 days and now I am feeling pretty happy and also better able to address my anxiety issues w/ the therapist now that I have a medication in me. My suggestion is to take it because you will more than likely feel better because of it, and you're already suffering with your emetophobia, anyway, so you might as well take the risk and try to get better.
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Also my BMI hovers around 18.4-18.6 and although not really underweight, that might be of some reassurance to you that I am on the smaller side, and female, and still did not have any GI side effects. 
      Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up