Took 10mg Cit once...

Posted , 4 users are following.

I just recently got prescribed Celexa (10mg Citalopram) for my social anxiety and I had a terrifyingly bad reaction. Losing interest in basically anything I was doing, extremely nauseous, locked up jaw, vomit, depersonalization.... etc

This lasted for about 5 hours and I was getting ready to call an ambulance when it finally stopped.

Ive read that Celexa has a 35 hour half life, does that mean I will have to wait 3 days before I can feel normal again? And will I get those dreaded withdrawals after this dose?

I'm honestly scared someone please give me advice

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Tony

I enjured 6 weeks of those symptoms before the subsided and any benefits came. If you stop now withdrawal will be absolutely minimal or negligible

How was you feeling before the medication?

• Posted

Felt fine before the meds, but after anxiety went through the roof. I just want to know how long I have to wait for these side effects to wear off because I for sure am not taking this again. A applaud you for being able to get through 6 weeks of this but I cannot see myself taking these side effects much longer!
    • Posted

The worst for me was feeling sick every day to the pit of my stomach. They can make you feel really ill. I would decide now so you don't get in too deep. I'm considering coming of if my sex life doesn't return. No libido whatsoever. I'm 8 weeks in now.

• Posted

Calm down tony everything u felt is normal side effects didnt the doc explain u'll feel worse before better? Did u read the pil? I think uve taken 1 pill and panicked i dont think uve had a terrible reaction im not sure if meds r gonna b for u if this is how much u have stressed over 1 u can ask for a low dose of diszipam for first few days but the side effects can take up to 2 weeks b4 they subside an 6/8 weeks minimum before and benefits are felt

• Posted

Psychologist told me"you might feel slightly dizzy and tired." I Had absolutely no idea they would mess me up this bad and I honestly can't see myself putting up with these side effects while already dealing with a stressful life

• Posted

If ur struggling badly then u know if meds r for u or not tbh u nerd to comit to these and u maybe in for a pretty rough ride for aroung 10 days first wk is worst only u can decide if u think u need them or not is it social anxiety u have? If so id suggest trying a beta blocker but if u have stress/anxiety or depression then u may need meds there r hundreds to try but only u can decide if u want to comit
  • Posted

Tony

I've been on 20mg cit for about 14weeks , 1st week easily worst of my life , side effects horrendous . Things eventually settled after 5 or 6 weeks but then some side effects returned & two weeks ago realised that I was much better without the drug . I spoke to the doctor about reducing the meds , he was not convinced & warned about side effects. I reduced to 10 & had one or two extra sweaty nights but now feel better than ever & have had the best two weeks ever. Looking through this forum it's obvious that this drug does work wonders for some but everyone is different & so will the side effects for you coming off, you may be lucky & feel better straight away . Good luck with it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.