tooth filling feels weird

Posted , 4 users are following.

a couple of months ago I went to a dentist and she replaced two old cavities on the upper right side. Now those cavities feel weird. There is no pain when I bite on them, but once I release the bite, I feel a pressure on one of the teeth for about 10s, then the filling seems to "pop" back up.

I feel uncomfortable as I am afraid to bite on that side and feel that I can over bite on the other side and damage some other teeth.

What do you think is the cause and what should I do?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Perhpas your bite is off?  Maybe you should go back and have the dentist check the bite.  If it's uneven, then it would feel weird, not mention cause other problems down the road..  In any case, I would at least call them and explain what's going on.

• Posted

Any dental work alters the balance you were used too. Its a shame but its true. Especially if you have tnj or issues related. And sometimes some dentist add there own touch to it. Change the shape a little. It is amaxing how ones teeth and bite are so sensitive to change.

if you feel its loose ot something go back. I am working to recover from tmd and tmj and all that started i chipped a top tooth they put enamel on and then an old  crown fell out and they put it back..so go figure. I was eating frozen yogurt with chocolate chips i think were stale from the store lol  anyway I did what you noted changed how i ate to avoid the srea, and i clench but have a splint..I wish i would have gone back initially and did what i needed to do. Its the hate and fear of dentists too that plays into this. End result im working so hard to fix my pain now with a pt and even get ear issues from all this and anxiety. Why because i was a fool and avoided just going back and figuring it out. I think thats what happened. Not positive but. I blame myself for it now. So if you can go back then go back and fix it. Or go to someone else for an opinion. Just saying from my own experience.feel good and good luck.

• Posted

I'd get that one checked if I were you - including an X-ray. And preferably by another dentist. It may only be that your bite has changed, as others have said. However, I had a very bad time after experiencing something similar.

After a large cavity in a lower molar was re-filled, I kept getting an uncomfortable sensation of something moving in the tooth. No pain at all, just a weird sensation when I bit on it. I went back to my dentist several times but he said it was OK - and I was stupid enough to trust him.

This went on for another year or two, till he did a routine panoramic X-ray and announced the tooth was broken somewhere inside. He said the root wasn't broken through, so he could do a root canal and put on a crown.

After the root canal I had nothing but pain in the tooth for the next couple of years, till I developed a severe abscess. This was threatening my breathing as the swelling was spreading under my tongue. The original dentist, who I was still seeing (though goodness knows why!) just gave me antibiotics and said nothing else was necessary. I knew that was wrong so found another dentist PDQ. He took one look and personally phoned a maxillofacial surgeon, who saw me as an emergency just a few hours later.

Once the tooth had been removed and a deep curetage of the bone performed - under industrial-strength antibiotic cover - the maxfac asked me who had done the root canal. She had found one of the roots of the tooth completely broken off, and in her opinion it had been like this for many years - i.e. from when I'd felt the abnormal movement after the first filling about 5 years earlier.

The moral of this story is don't be overly trusting of your dentist!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.