Top of leg pain

Posted , 4 users are following.

Dear all...I'm back again!

It's now 19 days since my SFF repair plus top and back wall repairs. The buttock pain when going to toilet is slightly better but I am pretty upset that I now how terrible pain in the top back of my right leg. This extends down several inches so it's not really buttock pain. It's the worst when I get into bed / so from standing to lying position: it feels like my muscles are ripping. Has anyone else experienced this? I am not recovering like all the hospital leaflets suggest ... I'm supposed to be doing 10 - 15 minute walks by now but I can't walk for more than a minute without pain in both buttock and leg. I'm fretting the surgeon has permanetly damaged my nerves and I stupidly read medical research stating this is possible.

I am still feeling a bearing down feeling inside - I never had that sensation before my surgery. All in all I feel pretty despondent. As there is a 20% chance of it reoccurring I'm not sure it's worth all this. I hope so much this top leg ripping pain will ease off.

Caz 🦄

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I had a posterior repair last year . I didn't do much for the first 4 weeks I felt heavy and it was too much . No ones textbook we all heal differently . If your body doesn't feel ready to be walking then don't .

As long as your keeping moving little walks round house etc . Gradually add a bit more .

I couldn't sit properly for weeks . My back hurt from lack of activity but I gradually rebuilt strength when I felt ready x

• Posted

Sorry you are feeling down. Apparently buttock pain is one of the side effects of CFF surgery for a few weeks. I had an Anterior and posterior repair 6 weeks ago. I did have the feeling of pressure down below, especially if I stood for more than a few minutes. It is gone now. The discharge was worrisome (pink and yellowish) until finally this week it has slowed down. I have a huge problem with sciatica, so I normally have buttock and right leg pain and burning. It was worse post surgery for 5 weeks. I did get despondent between 3 and 5 weeks as recovery seemed to be at a standstill. This week it's like I turned a corner. Don't compare yourself to others as we all heal differently, have various degrees of prolapse and different doctors. Better days ahead!

• Posted

Hi again Caz, I'm still here too! 4 weeks now and the pelvic floor pressure seems worse than the previous 3 weeks. Matron who sometimes posts on here said that at 3-5 weeks, things seem worse for awhile, it's due to the stitches tightening and the scars healing I think. I still have the right buttock pain, this will be the the stitch into the spinal ligament, (SSF) tightening too I imagine. Should ease off soon but as others have said we all heal at different rates. I have sciatica, (possibly what you have) often from having osteo arthritis in my spine so that doesn't help matters I suppose. I'm trying to be positive and look forward, not doing much as I don't feel ready to walk far yet, just around the house and garden. If I'm on my feet too long, the pressure pain is so bad I have to lie on the bed until it passes. It took all day today as I had difficulty doing a BM, it took several attempts in spite of eating porridge and yogurt with fruit! Take care and keep posting, we're all here listening and commiserating with you. Poll X confused

• Posted

Hi Poll - lovely to hear from you. What you described is more or less my day! Despite laxatives I'm on and off the toilet.. it's so annoying wanting to go but it taking too long and being too painful.. I'm in and out of the toilet like a boomerang. I've walked around my bedroom to try and exercise.so painful getting back into bed. I got athletically fit at the gym before my op and in the space of 3 weeks my toned legs and arms have disappeared. I am wishing away the weeks ... that's so bad at 51 but it's how I feel. I'm sorry you're not feeling better yet. I guess we are unlucky as some women don't even get the buttock pain. I can put up with it if I know it will go. I'm just nervous the pain in the leg won't go because if the research I read. Trying to be positive and wondering how I'll manage 36 stairs on Thursday to get out and vote. Have a good night's sleep. Caz x

• Posted

Take one step at a time, (regarding the stairs) but in all things too. It will pass I know as I've had pelvic floor surgery in the past. We have to be patient patients, not easy but it pays off in the end! I'm 74 by the way but life in this old dog yet! lol razz

• Posted

Ha .. yes patient patients! My mum is 74 and walks 5 miles every day. My surgeon said about this all reoccurring .. I guess if you've had it done before you know the benefits outweigh the pain - that's great to know! X

• Posted

Yes, my first surgery was when I was 40, 2nd, rectocele, I was 59. This time was a vault prolapse probably caused by the first op, vaginal hysterectomy. This apparently causes the vag vault to slip downwards in time and I believe some surgeons now do the sacrospinous fixation, (SSF) at the same time as the hysterectomy so it doesn't happen in later years as mine did. Things have changed and moved on since 1984, lol! I would advise you to see your gynae or GP if the sciatica does not ease off soon. In the meantime rest in bed as much as possible to take the pressure off nerves, it will relieve it if you can find the most comfy position. I find lying on the opposite side to the pain area helps or, on your back with a pillow under your legs/knees. This takes the strain off hips a bit and is recommended by physios. Also take strong pain relief as it's known now that keeping pain to a minimum helps recovery. This I think is what Matron said in posts some time ago. I think she must be away as she's not responded to posts lately. X rolleyes

• Posted

Wow Poll, you've been through it- 3 ops. I'm not sure I could have put up with that. I have been told I might need the bladder repair at the end of the year. I've got to see if the other procedures have helped. I phoned my surgeon's secretary today in an assertiveness moment and I've got an appointment on Monday. He can explain the pain to me! X

• Posted

Glad you got an appointment. We on this forum can only relate to our own experiences so not always correct for you. I think with regard to my own ops, mostly to do with 4 babies, 3 of them large, about 9 pounds, plus some heavy jobs caring for people and standing in dept stores etc, gardening and home decorating, it's down to wear and tear and now age related. Our muscles, ligaments etc tend to weaken as we age so I'm relieved I've now retired and can take things easy at my own pace. Hope you find out what you want to know from your gynae. X rolleyes

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.