TOR of Right knee

Posted , 9 users are following.

I had a TKR in June this year my knee still swollen and aches I do exercises I was given it feels really tight on my knee when I bend it and is numb and tingle s how long will this take to go right.

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I don't think there is a timeline, sorry. I had a PKR in June and although it looks good and I can fully straighten and bend, after about 30 minutes of walking it really aches and is very stiff when I have been sitting or in bed. It is still numb where the nerves were cut. I am hoping it's just a matter of time.

good luck.

• Posted

Hi Tricia x

i hope it gets better for you and thank you for your reply I'm having my left one done next year X The surgeon put me for a PKR but he said if he needed to do a full one he would do it. I needed a full FKR and he said I would have to have a full one on my left X 

• Posted

Hi everyone heals at a different rate I'm 9 months TKR some days are worse than others still get small pains when using steps or getting out of chair the pins and needles I had after op is now slowly receding i managed 2 weeks touring with a caravan got back last week to hime comforts and my regine 3 times a day ice packs and resting when i can so even though i felt i had gone back in my healing im now getting back on track i reckon this is gonna take 12 months to say I've cracked it just in time to have my other leg done which had to be postponed cos I had a nasty fall needing 28 stitches in my shin So I'm now saying 2017 is the year of the legs forme lol x

• Posted

Hi Mary x

Thank you for the reply it's most helpful I'm having my left one done next year all being well x

• Posted

It is different for each person but common to have aches and swelling up to six months so try not to worry. Some people takes longer, so many variables. Ice and elevate above heart and take pain relief as need be. Three months is still early days, things improve with time. I had the most improvements in terms of being able to return to normal activities four months post op onwards. Now six months, still have a little numbness at side but this is nothing to worry about. Occasional mild swelling sometimes too. Read around the forum, people are very generous in sharing what they have learnt based on their own experience . Best wishes
    • Posted

Hi Jenny. 

Thank you Jenny that's so helpful I'm hoping to have the left knee done next year fingers crossed.

• Posted

My real change came at 8 months. Now i only get ankle swelling after being on my feet 2 -12hr(14hr) days in a row. Knees only feel a little bit. Some days i forget i had bilteral pkrs 9 1/2mo ago...remembering the hell,pain,swelling is still very real but makes me all the more grateful! I sit for up to 2hrs a night w feet higher than heart and allow for stretch of legs. I am 140degree flex and -2 to -4 extention.

Stay strong. wink

• Posted

Hi X 

it gets better each day but I get swelling every day sometimes I put ice pack on it and take pain killers my left one is being done next year.

my left knee keeps giving way so still using my Crutches when I go out which isn't often I'm being positive that it gets better.

• Posted

Hi Carol

Dont get dejected your in the early stages of recovery im just 12 months post TKR the numbness has just about gone i still get a little pain when i over do it but all is well in general as the weeks go by you will feel it improving dont forget its a big op and takes a good while to recover best advice is plenty of light exercise but dont push it to far if that makes sense and lots of rest when you can good luck

Johnny.

• Posted

Hi Johnny X 

thank you for your reply I don't have pain when I walk which is good the bones were bone on bone I can feel a difference I'm having my left one done next year so I'm hoping I will feel the benefit when I have that one done.

im thinking positive about it. X

• Posted

Hi Carol, as others have said on here it is still early days. I had a TKR on my left 18 months ago, and really noticed the difference straight away, but had my right TKR in June, which has been totally different, a lot more pain and discomfort, not help with the fact I have an infection in the area, also my surgeon told me that the nerves which have to be cut can take up to 2 years to heal, but on saying all this, I am sure we will all benefit from having these operations, well hopefully!!! So roll on 2018!!! Good luck.
    • Posted

Hi Rosemary. 

Thank you for your reply when I had mine done on June 7th I felt a difference straight away I didn't have any pain and I have never been able to walk around my house without being in pain and the only thing I can say is that it's the numbness and tingling feeling but as everybody says its early days, I can't wait to have the left one done as the pain in that is tremendous and my back hurts to I have had such a lot of support of people on here with all their messages I'm so overwhelmed. So thank you again for your reply. 

• Posted

Yes Carol, I too have been overwhelmed by the kindness of people on here as well as reading about the different experiences. I am sure we will all get there in the end, some sooner than others. Take care.xx
  • Posted

Hi Carol. I had my TKR in June too! I could copy your post as have similar symptoms. Maybe we need to be patient patients and give ourselves more time to recover. Everyone seems to progress differently. Onwards and upwards!
    • Posted

Hi Mary.

i agree we must be patient my is getting better every day so I'm hopeful.

take care.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.