Toral knee replacement

Posted , 14 users are following.

I tried going Christmas shopping and made it too 2 stores and the pain set in I had to go out and sit in my car. Will this get better and when. I go see my doctor on the 20th for my 4 month check up. I wish I never had this surgery.

2 likes, 49 replies

49 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Don't expect too much too soon. I cannot as yet even think of shopping in large stores except with help. I use a wheelchair for large store shopping and for local shopping I drive and get fresh items with the help of a trolley.

I am still using one crutch.

• Posted

I am 14 weeks, you sound just like me exactly!!
    • Posted

I'm going to see my doctor this Wednesday. I went to therapy and she said my whole leg is swollen to go home and ice it. I'm now 16 weeks and im having more pain now. I just want this to be over. I want to go outside and play. I'm so tired of this whole knee thing. I want to have a pain free day.

• Posted

It normally will get better if there is still heat in the knee, hot baths and icing will help

Good healing

• Posted

- At 3+ months you are still early in your recovery.  As OFG1 said, take your meds. You still have a long way to go.

- It's not a matter of stores...its a matter of STEPS.  Too many and you pay the price. Keep track with a FitBit (nice Christmas present) or pedometer.  Find your pain point , back off and increase gradually.

- "When" is not a time anyone can predict.  Everyone heals at their own pace.  First ROM (PT) then strength training (gym).  You can't cut this short and then get angry about it.  The whole thing can take a year.

- This Christmas, there is only one word to keep in mind...AMAZON!!!

• Posted

I do have a fit bit and love it. I thought at 16 weeks I would be pain free. I still use a cane can't go up steps still can't walk far. Lucky to get to the mail box and back. Now the weather sucks ( snow ) I'm afraid of falling. I have no idea when I can return tof work, if athe all. I'm tired of the pain....

• Posted

That's only 4 months...gotta give it at lest six...minimum.  I'm at nine months and still not overcome all of it.  The quads are tough to rebuild.  Get to the gym!!!  Get stronger...

• Posted

Hello Shari and everyone, I had a Total knee replacement 5 weeks tomorrow and the pain I have is not nice, like you i cant go shopping and i do sleep alot in the day . My knee feels very heavy and my ankles and around the knee is sore and still very swollening cant put shoes on, hope this does get better as i am not having the other one done thanks for listen

ing xx

• Posted

Perhaps a neoprene knee compression sleeve...it is specifically made to cradle to patella, knee cap. One should be available from the pharmacy. you will need to measure the circumference of your knee in order to determine the correct size.

It is best to elevate your knee above your heart while placing a frozen gel ice pack beneath the knee as well as on top of the knee for an hour while you read, telly, chat, knit or whatever.

Then extend your leg straight up and hold it up for 30 seconds. Now slip the sleeve on. Be sure to properly allow the sleeve to cradle your patella, the knee cap. Flex your knee a couple of times to ensure that your patella is able to properly glide without impingment.

In about another hour you should have much less discomfort and pain. You may sleep in the sleeve. You may walk in the sleeve.

You will be pleasantly surprised at how much easier walking and range of motion exercises will become because the swelling will come way down.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.