Torn cartilage and feeling down

Posted , 8 users are following.

I have had problems with my right knee for quite a while.I had an MRI scan in Jan and in March the results were arthritis and a torn cartilage.I tried a couple of sessions of physio but felt that this was a waste of time as it was all chat and no action.I was told to make an appointment for the end of July as a check up.I went on July 25th but this time I thought I might get some where as I saw the consultant rather than one of her registrars.I couldn't believe it when she told me that she couldn't see the torn cartilage on the scans and she wanted me to have another MRI scan.I thought I would have to wait a few weeks but luckily I got a cancellation within the week.I don't have a follow up appointment for the results.I just feel this has been a waste of time and a lot of wasting around.

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Well it sounds rather strange. I think that I would be asking for a copy of the MRI scan Report.
  • Posted

Why haven't you made a follow up appointment to find out what the outcome is? 

• Posted

I've had four (4) knee scopes (two each side) over the years before my TKR.  Both knees each had torn meniscus and femoral condyle cartiledges.  In every case, the pre-surgery MRI showed nothing.  Every time, the doc would tell me "We just have to go in and see what's happening".  All this occured while I lived in New Jersey.

This time, here in Texas, I told the doc how useless the MRI would be so he just took an xray.  Told me another scope would be a waste of time...nothing else in there to fix.  Any other treatments would be temporary fixes so I really had no choice but the TKR.

Sounds like a scope would be the way to go so the doc can really see the inside of your knee.  Could be a simple fix.  I always did my scopes on a Thursday...back to work on Monday.  Easy peasy...and all the pain was miraculously gone...

• Posted

Hello again, sometimes I think I can be really clueless ( but ofcourse other times I'm right on top of things??).  I never had a scope, what is that?? Or never had a Mri of my knee. Only an X-ray. Ortho surgeon showed it to me and said I was bone on bone and would need the Tkr.  I went with what he suggested.  He did both my hips ten years ago and I trusted him? Did ok with that.  This experience is a whole other story, as you know from speaking to u before ... .?? 

• Posted

Arthroscopy (also called arthroscopic surgery or "a scope"wink is a minimally invasive surgical procedure on a joint in which an examination and sometimes treatment of damage is performed using an arthroscope, an endoscope that is inserted into the joint through a small 1" incision...usually multiple insicions (3) for the tool, camera and light.

Docs "scope" EVERYTHING nowadays.  Knees, shoulders, elbows...they even take your appendix out via arthroscopy at your navel.  No abdominal scars...been doing that for decades...my daughter had it done 15 years ago.

If the doc did an x-ray and found a bone on bone condition with no hope of repair, then that says a lot...although I'd get a second opinion to be sure.  

To potpone a TKR, one treatment option, known as viscosupplementation, involves cushioning the knee joint with injections of a gel-like fluid. The fluid acts as a shock absorber and enables the bones to move more smoothly.  The product is called Synvisc.  You get three injections (days 1, 8 and 15).  Takes a few weeks to feel the full effects; can last up to a year.  Then just get another set of shots.  There is also SynviscOne that works for six months with only one shot.

I used Synvisc for YEARS when I lived in NJ.  The warmer Texas climate made that unnecessary for the last six years.  I could have done the Synvisc again but, at 68, decided to get the knee done sooner rather than later.

I'd get a second opinion to see if a scope would benefit you.  If not, then consider the Synvisc...

• Posted

In Nov 2015 I had a right knee partial knee replacement, medial compartment. This resulted from the onset of osteoarthritis over the years coming from a torn right knee cartilage in about 2000.

I asked for an MRI scan and the GP said no ! it won't show anything, we'll get Xrays done.

Then when I had my first consultation with my Consultant he wanted more information than my Xrays showed and he too ordered more Xrays, these were done immediately on the spot as part of the consultation.

These combined Xrays were used during surgery.

So, sorry to say, yes, probably was a waste of time and effort.

John

• Posted

always ask for copies of your records.  You own them and if needed at least you'll be prepared. I've made that mistake too many times. Best of good health to you...

• Posted

Torn cartilage if not treated can be bad. It can get worse. Or even start to feel better. But damage is still being done. The joint will continue to chew it up. May get some locking once in a while. Mine did walking around Walmart one day. It locked and I couldn't move. The insurance company of course was fighting the claim.took 7 months to get authorized for surgery. By then there was way more damage. Doc had to go in twice to get it all. Plus it caused internal bleeding I didn't even know about. Doc was heated to say the least. Now I get synvisc 3 shot series every 6 months for the lack of catiladge and arthritis pain.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.