total hysterectomy

Posted , 11 users are following.

having hysterectomy next tuesday. terrified.have no support at all as a bit of a recuse. i keep being told what i can and cant do after op by different medical staff so abit confused as well. i'm 66. would welcome abbit of support. thanks

2 likes, 37 replies

37 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I hope your okay. Try not to worry too much. There are lots of woman on here to help and support you.X
  • Posted

I am 3 weeks post the op. What to expect after is be prepared to feel very tired for 2 weeks. I would get up around 9 and by 12 could nod on in the chair. I made myself stay awake so I had lunch and then off to bed at 2 to 5. Sometimes I slept sometimes not. The body is tired because it is using energy healing. I got more pain in week 3 as things were twinning with a few short lived sharp pain. This is all the layers joining up again. Soreness in the scar area can make you less mobile again rest in bed when this is going on. You must not put things in washing machine or dishwasher bending down is a no no. I have a grabber that helps me pick light ings off the floor. I still take paracetamol 4 times a day and ibuprofen 3 times a day. I still don't feel up to driving. I had an abdominal hysterectomy so my recovery will be longer. As to the op take all the meds they offer do not be brave. Ask when you can get up and do it very very slowly with a nurse to help you. Once you do that you can progress. Very common to get dreadful wind so drink peppermint tea take some with you and walk walk walk. However, on night 2 my wind pain was so bad they gave me a depository pain killer that really worked. I still had this wind when I got home and it took another 2 days to go. You can get quite constipated because of sluggish colon and all the drug. Eat lots of dried prunes. I would do some batch cooking to freeze as the last thing you feel like doing is cooking. My mum moved in for 2 weeks as husband too busy working all hours. You have to shower not bath for 6 weeks and may not drive for that length of time. My stomach was very bloated and is just beginning to go down. I do walk around the house and garden in the morning but by afternoon if twiinging it is a sign I have done enough. If a uncomfortable day the next day I rest watching TV reading in bed and feel this makes things better the next day. If you are having a non abdominal one then your recovery will probably be quicker. Write down questions you want to ask so prepared when the Dr comes to see you as they do very quick visits and I prefer to get their opinion especially when they se you to discharge you. I was in for 3 nights.
    • Posted

hellodeborah. sorry itts taken a while to get back to you but have been trying to get myself abit organised for tuesday. yourmessage was so very helpful. all the hints and tips,it helped calm me dwn alot. and l feel abit more in control again insteaof like a raving lunatic.. i still cant have anyone stay with me.i live in quite a difficult. . riddled with damp&hardly anything works in the place. so have taken out a loan and am rentina flat. for 2-3 months also having a roast dinner every day for £6 per day not sure what i wilbout . more laterbreakfast&teait. seems there seems assesments but very little action so tring to sort it abit myself. it seethat seem quite common are tiredness
    • Posted

I wasn't told not to do any bending. Am three weeks post op, and have been putting the washing on (someone else getting the wet washing out), and bending to do up my walking boots, feed cats, etc. Hope I haven't done any damage. Why no bending? Anyone know?
  • Posted

As you have no support I strong advise you to talk to you Gp and tell them.you need some help. They will organise a nurse to come and visit you to make sure you are ok. Can you order you food online. If not visit your local supermarket and ask if they will deliver and how you go about organising that. My waiitrose does not sure about others. Gp may organise meals on wheels for you while you need it. You will not be able to drive or walk to the shops for weeks let alone carry shopping.
  • Posted

I had a TAH and BSO and a very large fibroid removed just over 7 weeks ago.I was in hospital 3 nights.Came out on a Fri and started to go out the following Mon.It wasn't far but i did get out.Don't listen to what other people tell too much,it is nice to get advice don't get me wrong but when the time comes you will know what you can do and what you can't.You will be slower for a couple of weeks at least.It is the bending and lifting that you do have to be extra cautious with.Try and walk as much as you can,i think this has helped me a lot.You will need some help,have you not got ant one at all? It is going to be very difficult for you especially with housework,shopping and cooking.They normally ask you in hospital when you are discharged what help you are going to have at home.It is major surgery so please don't over do it.

Take care

Teresa

xxx

• Posted

Hi. How is op being done? Any option is major surgery but vaginal or laparoscopy will see you able to do things sooner. You need to let gp and hospital know if you have no one that can stay with you for first week home at least as they maybe able to help provide support. If you are very mobile now you will find it easier. I had no problem getting surgical stockings off and on but my mum who had op 2 weeks before me (timing hey!) struggled so a lot of recovery is down to individual. Prepare as much as you can beforehand with food etc just to make life easier. Good luck the op will be fine.
  • Posted

Hi Elsbeth

Good luck for next Tuesday.  So sorry to hear that you have no support, but you have now you have us on the forum.  I am 9 weeks post hysterectomy  and the information and support I have had from the ladies on this forum has been amazing. So feel free to ask any questions or tell us your worries.  Between us all there is always someone that has the answer or can help.  

I am 65 and had a vaginal hysterectomy, with bowel and bladder repositioning.   Op was a fantastic success and 'no pain' still cannot believe that.  I have recovered completely apart from not allowed to hoover yet, and cannot lift my doggie, but my fitness is 100% and I am full of energy.  So there is a lot of positives with having this operation.

Take care and let us know how you get on when you can.

Warmest Wishes

Jacqui lol

• Posted

I am 63 had TAH and BSO 23 March, I was worried about after because I live alone. My sister stayed with me for 2 weeks. After 2 weeks I was alone I didn't get the tiredness only getting 3 hours sleep at the most at night unable to sleep. I sailed though recovery - taking my time doing household jobs. Good luck with your op the worst part is the waiting before
    • Posted

thanks judy.its heartening to hear your recovery wasnt so bad. im so terrified! can you you let me no if you recieve this as am having problemwith replying to messages.hope you will keep in touch. elspeth23
    • Posted

yes I got it, I was terriffied before op, Most people would be
    • Posted

hi judy can you tell me if you were in good health before your op & that is why you seemed to have a not to bad a recovery.i shall probabley do a runner when i reach the operating table.take care. elspeth
  • Posted

no I was not in good health I had bad pain on the left side (they said I had a cyst which turned out to be my fellopian tube filled with fluid to the size of an orange attached to my bowel) I am also over weight. I think because I felt so bad with the improvement after I felt great. I followed the steps to recovery given to me at the hospital. Walking around the house after a few days walking outside for 10 mins building it up each day. Walking is good for you helps to heal inside.
    • Posted

it may sound a daft question but why would walking help you heal inside judy
    • Posted

Hi Elsbeth

Walks helps you heal because it gets the blood circuiting quicker and speeds the recovery time for the inner and outer wounds to heal.  It helps your blood produce anti bodies to help fight infection, so go to it girl, get walking!  

As soon as my catheter was out I was up and walking around the hospital (after I put my makeup on of course!  He! he! I didn't do it very wellrolleyes but I felt better!) It also stops you ceasing up, sometimes if you don't move straight away it becomes painful to move as the muscles and joints lock up.  

Love

Jacqui lol

• Posted

Sorry Elsbeth, I was so busy explaining about the walking, I forgot to wish you good luck for tomorrow.  Let us know how you got on as soon as you can.  Try and get a good night's sleep (I know it is asking a lot but it helps the healing process!).

Love

Jacqui smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.