Total knee replacement

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi I am new to this group. I had a total knee replacement 6 weeks ago. I only had 4 sessions of physio and now feel left on my own. I am progressing quite well. I want to get back to normality but find that if i do anything a bit more strenious I suffer for it after. Yesterday I went out for lunch and couldnt rest my knee and boy did I suffer afterwards. Does anyone else find this?. I also have pain in my hip on the same side as my new knee. I think this may be due to the way I walk. 

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I am also new to the group. (60 years old)  Ihad my total knee replacement on my left knee 8 weeks today. No longer on painkillers just the occasional paracetamol. I saw my  Surgeon 6 weeks post op and he was very pleased with me and is not seeing me for another 4 months. I had 3 sessions of physio at my local hospital then becauseI I had 110 degree bend they said I was ok and could go back to work (office) and I would improve as I got more active. I start work next week. I too feel abandoned. I did feel a good deal of improvement after week 6, I can now walk unaided without much of a limp but like you, in the early days my limp was quite pronouced and I had pain in my hip too, which has now gone. I know exactly what you mean about resting the leg. I alternate between putting it up on a pouffe and sitting normaly. I am dreading next week being stuck behind an office desk. My main issues are pain when trying to bend my knee, particularly going downstairs normally and when on excercise bike. I also have what the GP calls a bone bruise on the outer knee, this is quite swollen hard and painful, has anyone else had this problem.
  • Posted

Hi Joan 

i'm having TKR on the 16th October. I had a moped accident in January 2014 and have been disabled and much pain since. i'm hoping the pain relief my consultant gives me will help in the first stages. I already take MST morphine solphate 40mg per day for pain in right knee and left knee which has two torn ligaments, which are to be addressed after i heal from this surgery. How soon was you able to rest comfortably and sleep without pain? Did you walk on the first day after surgery? 

• Posted

Hi Christine,

Yes I walked on the first day after surgery. I needed to use the toilet and didnt fancy using a bed pan so asked if I could walk to the toilet. I used a zimmer frame and managed quite well. I am due to have the other knee done maybe we will be in at the same time. Just waiting for the hospital to get in touch. The pain keeps you awake for at least two weeks after and I just slept as and when I could. This time I am going to listen to my body and try to rest and not put myself under any pressure because I know it eases off eventually. Its the not knowing what is normal as we all heal differntly and there is no right and wrong way.

• Posted

Hi Christine,

I walked on the first day after the op. I needed to use the toilet so used a zimmer frame. After that they had me walking on crutches. Sleeping without pain takes awhile. I would say that after two weeks I was able to sleep a little better. Dont put any pressure on yourself doing thing We

all heal differently and there is no right or wrong way to do it. We may be having our operations at the same time.I am waiting for my consultant to get in touch. 

• Posted

Yes just waiting for my appointment. I will be going in Highfield, Rochdale.
  • Posted

my consultant tells me im going to get up the next day as i need to keep moving the knee joints.  i go next week for lessons on how to exercise my knee. did you have this?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.