Total knee replacement

Posted , 9 users are following.

Does anyone know if it's ok to kneel after a TKR . I am 12 weeks post op .it feels very strange , but I don't know if it can do any harm . I am not seeing a physio any more so cannot ask . Thanks 

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Pam, I wouldn't think that kneeling after 12 wks is not really a good idea? I had my left TKR in 2010 & then revised surgery in 2012 along with a right TKR the same year & I still find impossible to kneel even now, this is due basically to the amount of pain I still have 😣 I've just had my left hip replaced in August & I'm now back on the list to have the right hip done within 12 weeks, then I'm back on the list to have both knees replaced yet again due to instability in both joints? I think just to double check you could ring your fizio dept & ask them 4 their advice about the kneeling? Good luck 😉
  • Posted

My surgeon told me that it was fine and the only reason people don't is because it feels odd / painful

No harm would be done

• Posted

Morning Pam,

I'm now 14.5 weeks and something within me says it wouldn't be a good idea.  Gut feeling.

• Posted

Hi Pam, I can't really answer your question I'm afraid. I'm 10 weeks post op and don't fancy trying to kneel! All I can remember is my consultant saying you might have difficulty kneeling after the op. He didn't say not to kneel I suppose. I attend a weekly knee class at the hospital. I'll try to remember to ask the physio next time I go. 

Just interested how you're getting on otherwise? I'm making good progress. I've even got the leg more or less straight this week. I still get pain and stiffness in the muscles at the back of the knee when walking though. Do you get that? If only I could get rid of that I'd be really happy. Good luck with the kneeling 😊 Jen x

• Posted

Hi Jennifer, I am doing far better than I expected. That's not saying I don't get any pain , but defo not as much as before the op. I walk up and down stairs properly . First thing in the morning it is stiff, I was also waiting to get the other knee done, but since I have been walking better that knee has improved so I am not in any rush . I do still get pain around the knee , back and front and it' swells a bit if I walk a lot . If it is really bad I get the cryo cuff out . In the night sometimes I move differently and get pain. Defo the naproxen help ..I did kneel a little yesterday not putting too much weight on that side , and it felt strange but didn't really hurt . It made me. Think if I. Have the other done how would I do these lie down jobs lol. Perhaps that's a reason not too lol 
    • Posted

Hi Pam, sounds like you're doing really well. I think I'd wait a while to get the other knee done too if I were you. I just feel I'm not very much better than I was before the op yet. I suppose it's all relative isn't it? I didn't suffer too much around the house before just found I couldn't walk any real distance. With this muscle pain I still get discomfort walking so that's what frustrates me. I suppose it's still early days yet and I've just got to hope it'll get better in time. As for the lie down jobs, I'm lucky my husband is doing most of the cleaning stil! I'm a bit afraid of twisting the knee. I don't miss those jobs mind 😊 but I do miss getting down on the floor to play with my grandchildren. When I think of it though I wasn't able to kneel on by bad knee before the op so maybe I ought to give it a try 😊 Jen x
  • Posted

That should have said low down jobs lol ..I couldn't kneel before ,for one thing I would never have got up again lol. But getting up was much easier . You will get there ,no need to rush xx
  • Posted

Hi pam, ouch don't think is a good idea to kneel just yet. I haven't been able to kneel for around 10years, now my knee is done I am not going to tempt fate. So kneeling is always ging to be a no no for me. When I need to get down I sit on settee and slide bum down till I'm there. Hope you are getting back your old self, I am 8weeks now and during the past few days seemed to have turned that magic corner. Feeling really good again today. All the best love from tucks
  • Posted

Hi I tried to kneel this morning, only for short while, but I had to do it, It was not very pleasant but I could bear it.  Try kneeling on the bed, on the pillow first. I do not think it is partuculary recomended but sometimes necessary, I cannot crouch, so if the work has to be done on the floor, it is necessary.
  • Posted

again like others im not sure , althought the pysio said that it is really hard to damage the new knee , im 6 months on one knee and 8 weeks on the other knee ,i must say i have tried to kneel and didnt like the feeing , and was a little painfull , and i didnt try to move any where but i could take my weight ,i think the feeling was the metal work as there is no give at all ,just a strange feeling , if your worried you can always give the hospital a ring ,they could get some one to call back and answere your ? s . good luck and if it hurts dont do it lol

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.