Total Knee Replacement

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi!  I am now 7 weeks post op and heading into the doctor today.  My pain is no longer as intense as it was two weeks ago but I still need pain meds from time to time through out the day.  What types of med pains are you on if you are beyond 6 weeks postop?  At what point will I be pain free and not need pain meds?

My knee also seems to lock periodically for a few seconds, does this happen to anyone?  Hopefully my implants are working okay.

How long after your TKR of your driving leg were you able to return to driving after the narcotics had stopped?  Any problems with your reflexes? Any words of suggestions for moving back into driving?

I get tired so easy, need to build up my endurance and stamina.

How long until  I should be able to return to jogging?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I'm also 7 weeks post op (tkr). I'm now only taking paracetamol and ibuprofen. I was also taking codeine but stopped taking that at 5 weeks. I can drive (my consultant said it was ok after 6 weeks). I try leaving longer gaps between taking pain killers but sometimes still need to take them every 3 hours. Not sure when I will be pain free so just take each day as it comes. Knee feels very stiff after walking so I tend to exercise more to bend the knee. I'm really not too sure what to expect but others on the forum who are weeks/months ahead have all done pretty well and all agree that it's a long and sometimes painful process to get back to "normal".
  • Posted

I had TKR nearly 3 years ago so can't remember when I was off painkillers.

While still in hospital they took me off stronger co codamol (I think they were 30 strength). When I started physio the physiotherapist rang my surgery straight away and insisted the GP put me back on stronger co codamol.

Luckily she is a no nonsense person and Dr put me back on them.

I had already given up driving by the time I had TKR so cannot give any advice when to drive again but your Consultant GP and Phsio should guide you on this.

The stonger painkillers tend to make you constipated so it may be worth asking for some Laxido sachets as well.

Good luck with all this and keep in touch

Sarah

• Posted

12 weeks and still painful, but I don't take painkillers any more because I don't want to damage the old liver. . . I still get tired, even at twelve weeks, and find myself going to bed by ten thirty . . .still sleep badly . . .It;s a really long job getting over this operation! I haven't had the 'locking' you mention, but sometimes it seems to jerk forward, almost as if on a spring!  How many different things we experience during this recovery!  Jogging?  i really should ask your surgeon . I thought running, and any high impact sport,  was out after this sort of operation . . especially if you want your joint to last for many many years!  i was driving at eight weeks, but it is an automatic car, so not really relevant. that's mainly why I gave up the pain killers . . . 
  • Posted

Hi Denise,

i was pain free almost at seven weeks just tool paracetamol when needed, I got that locking feeling quite a lot still do now and I am 15 weeks post op left leg 9days post op right leg I have lot of pain in right leg taking pain killers every four hours....

the left leg goes into this lock mode but just slowly ease it forward and it goes... I do not drive so cannot help you there but good luck 

• Posted

Hi Denise - I am 8 weeks post TKR op of right knee and am hoping to have a little practice in my car in the next few days with one of my daughters.  This was the advice of my consultant who also said most important to do some emergency stops too in order to check knee reacts fast enough.  Piece of advice I read on the forum was to sit in your car at least once a day and just practice pushing the pedals.  It helps prepare you for the "big" driving day. Is am 70 and feel as excited as I did when I bought my first car aged just 17.  I have a couple of paracetamol bedtime and am no longer experiencing awful pain - not even when I exercise.
  • Posted

I live in a different country, so my experience varies - I never had a strong pain med once I left the hospital. At 5.5 weeks I still have swelling and pain, mainly associated with walking too much. I agree with Clarkey, paracetamol and ibuprofen are what I use. Most nights I'll have some Tylenol PM, so help with the sleep issues (last night I didn't even need any). I agree with Martin, jogging might not ever really be a good option again. You want this knee to last a long time, right? I think lower impact exercise is going to be a better option. Yesterday I made my debut at the pool. A couple kicks were bad and I felt the pain, but overall, it was a great work out. I was driving at 6 weeks. Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.