Total knee replacement

Posted , 13 users are following.

I had a total knee replacement 3 months ago , can't get my bend past 97 , so frustrating , in the morning my knee is very thight in the morning.

I still have 2 Physio sessions a week and hydrotherapy 4 to 5 days a week, also exercise at home at least once a day. I'm starting to feel overwhelmed my life is consumed by all of the exercises!!!

Still not at work, I am a nurse and I don't think I have the speed to go back to a busy surgical ward, my knee gets " tired" after walking for s couple of hours.

I need to go back as no work no pay.

im trying SO hard to remain strong and positive but it's hard .

1 like, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Maria I'm in a very similar situation. My TKR was 5 wks ago and i can barely do 90°

The reason is because going into surgery my knee was soo bad i had only 95° for all these years...so they say scar tissue has built up making it very diffecult to rehab the knew knee past that.

A procedure called a "manipulation" may be necessary.

As for what that is...I'll let b the rest of this group tell you.

I'm soo depressed and frustrated about myn situation i don't have much faith to fill you with.

But i DO get it...i know exactly what you're going through!

• Posted

Hi David

That's why this sites are good 😄

The manipulation is usually done before the3 months mark, b however there are risks involved such as the surgeon breaking the tibula during manipulation.

Some days I just want to give up but then I pick my self up and keep exercising.

Wishing you a speedy recovery

Maria

• Posted

Dear Maria

I am so sorry, you are obviously working so hard at rehab, yet remain frustrated. I am at just over 3 weeks post-op, so can't compare experiences, but just wanted to lend my support.

Also I wondered whether you might be able to return to work on a different ward, or in a day unit? Also, I've always wondered how nurses get to be practice nurses in GP surgeries? 

Might it be a good time to explore your options? No harm done if you do return to surgical ward work.

Good luck smile x

• Posted

Thanks for the reply, I am taking another 4 weeks off. Today I'll have a good talk with my Physio and see what we can do within this time frame.

Very , very frustrating .

I do wish you a speedy recovery and keep on bending that knee and icing at least 6 times a daysmile

Maria

• Posted

Hi Nextoneplease

It's hard work , I only work a couple of days per week so it eventually should be fine

Good luck with your recovery😄

• Posted

That sounds better, Maria, more doable! 

I have been working as a self-employed tutor, which entails lots of standing, carrying equipment about etc. Currently I'll be amazed if I'm ever able to do it again.....

• Posted

Hi Nextoneplease

We just need to remain positive and hope for the best , I'm hoping to be able to work at least one day as I like nursing.

Bend today was 105 I'm so happysmile

Take care

Maria

• Posted

I had tkr 3/18. My rehab didn't go very well so on 4/27 I had manipulation done. For 3 days after mua I had pt and achieved a bend of 101. But that night and the next 2 days I was in such pain I could barely move. Pt next day and I was 40! Pt called my Dr to let him no. Dr pulled me from pt for 3 days. Pt worked my knee too aggressive. I had been going to the same pt for 6 weeks! 3 X's a week! I decided to switch pt places. As it turns out the first place had me doing wrong exercises. New pt is working on strengthening my quad and hamstring. After first day I left at 80. The next appt I was 90. I had wasted all that time. But I'm going forward. Make sure your doing the right exercises.
    • Posted

Sorry to hear all the pain you had to go through , I didn't expect such a long recovery.

My PT is good and accepts my ideas , I just want to be able to work .

All the best

• Posted

Maria, can't give you any advice as I'm only 4 weeks, but can feel your frustration. I was a nurse til I retired, so I know how fit you have to be. I had a hip replacement whilst I was working, and apart from 2dislocations!!, it was fine, but knees are something else!   Surely you have phased working at work?  I took full advantage of that. You seem to be doing all you can, hang on in there. Keep posting xx 
    • Posted

Hi Lucie

I only work a couple of days per week but still frustrating never thought that recovery from a TKR would take all this time

Take care

• Posted

I am 15 months post op - for some it takes a while. Just be patient. I think you are doing too much hydro/exercise - even though hydro is amazing and physio essential - overdoing it does make your leg swell and you need time to recover in between sessions. You cant rush this - take it steady, your nerves and and muscles have been through trauma - the bruising and scarring (deep) can take a while to settle. So keep going, but have some rest, some 'me' time. Of course your knee will get tired after 2 hours - even now mine does! It is hard to be positive but things will improve and sometimes  - we strong people find it very frustrating to be less than 100%. I've only just reached 119 flexion as I suffered from 'stiff knee' and deep scarring. I have done everything I can to help myself and only now can I say I feel my knee is almost normal and feels like it is mine rather than 'the new knee' Stay on here its great. 
    • Posted

Thanks Caroline

The PT just told me to decrease my hydro sessions . It's all about time and being patient I suppose

• Posted

So sorry to here that Maria. I am 2 months, and have just got to 102 on the bend. What's clear to me, from the people who attended physio. Some seem to have got along quite quickly, were others seem still to have issues.

It appears that there are not two people alike in recovery. I am just going along at my own speed.

I would talk to the physio about the morning stiffness, and see what they can come up with.

I hope you are feeling better soon. Bob.

• Posted

Hi ,l can fully appreciate how you are feeling because l was in the same pisition as you,l only now after 17 wks have a bend of just over the 100 l still have swelling and pain , l do over do with exercises but have now cut bk as l was doing 3 steps forward and 4 bk ,l would not contemplate manipulation at all in time as it heals you will get the bend just keep stretching and strengthening. I am a 65 yr old carer in the community and l went bk to doing 3 x10hr shifts a week at 12 wks p/0 like you l did not get paid being off l was on SSP crazy but l managed my legs ached l could not rest during the day and it was hard but needs must and l did it and am still doing it so think positive, don't expect to go bk to work and be pain free that won't happen when you are on yr legs all day. I knew 12wks was my max off so l went for it, you will be fine good luck keep posting 
    • Posted

Hi bling bling33146

Thanks , very similar

Today I was bending at 105

I just want to get used to this thightness and get on with lifesmile

• Posted

Hi maria i sound in a similar situation to you! Im 49 and am just 13 wks post tkr! I expected to go back to work at 12 wks but iv struggled with walking technique. I am exercising lots and walking daily . I didnt think i would ever get back to my normal life. I went to physio yest who has swapped crutch for a cane and told me im dropping my legs as i walk. The problem is my core stability so as well as all my twice daily leg exercises iv got stomach and bottom exercises!

I went to gp weds and poor bloke i cried! We had a great discussion where he said there is a fine line between mental health and physical health and as i was desparate to get back to work my physical health was starting to affect my mental health! Anyway im off for 2 more wks so i wil be 15 wks and im going back on a 4 wk phased return! Iv got tn!

My bend has just reached 95!!! Iv got terrible artharytis in other knee! Who would of guessed how hard this recovery was going to be! Certainly not me!

Good luck!

• Posted

Hi Debbie

My surgeon told me I could go back to work at 6 weeks! Mentally I was ready to go but physically I am not and its now 12 weeks.

Very long recovery. My bend today was 105 so it's a good day for me, but the thightness is there and when I walk I still limp a bit and can't walk fast 😭 Sites like these are good we don't feel alone.

All the best and take care

Maria

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.