Total knee replacement

Posted , 13 users are following.

I had a total knee replacement 3 months ago , can't get my bend past 97 , so frustrating , in the morning my knee is very thight in the morning.

I still have 2 Physio sessions a week and hydrotherapy 4 to 5 days a week, also exercise at home at least once a day. I'm starting to feel overwhelmed my life is consumed by all of the exercises!!!

Still not at work, I am a nurse and I don't think I have the speed to go back to a busy surgical ward, my knee gets " tired" after walking for s couple of hours.

I need to go back as no work no pay.

im trying SO hard to remain strong and positive but it's hard .

1 like, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Maria I'm 8 weeks post op and work expected me back at 6 weeks! I am a teaching assistant but my physio and consultant said no at least 12 weeks as you have had your leg broken in two places and joined back together along with a lot of banging, hammering etc, mucscles pulled and stretched. This all has to heal. You like me wil be on your feet all day (I work 8 1/2 hours a day) and have to ensure we are physically as well as mentally healed.

My knee would be very tight in morning if I have overdone it the day before. I am using stati bike 20 mins, walking 20-25 mins and doing my physio exercises 2-3 times a day.

Be positive, you will get there...we all will and all ill recover at a different rate.

Take care xx

• Posted

Unfortunately not, I found it good but I only got 6 sessions. I had my review and consultant was extremely happy and told me to just keep doing what i was doing, bike walking and exercises physio gave me. He told me build up walking and try go swimming too. I still get really tired as sleep is still hard but getting there. Next goal back to work!!! But will have build up to that one. X
    • Posted

Hey Maria,  just keep doing what you are doing.  I had 6 weeks physio...and he kicked me out....said I could do same stuff at home, as I already was twice a day.  He told me his job was to be sure I knew what to do and that I was doing the exercises correctly.  I was told by surgeon at 12 weeks that my thigh muscle has not completely healed...and that would just take time. I do my exercises daily, ride my bike and walk outside.  You have to rebuild your stamina.  This was a major surgery.

I am 13 weeks po and just started fazing back into work...I clean houses...my business.  Wow it is kicking me in the..a???.  I do my stretches in the morning of the days I have worked, and then rest after a nice hot bath.  It is enough for one day...my body says.  Worked 4 1/2 hours yesterday...helped clean 1 and 1/2 houses.  a little sore this morning, but I will survive.

​take care...listen to your body...it will all come around in time.

pam

• Posted

Hi Pam

So inspiring😄 Thank you

My Physio still wants me to go there twice a week , but like you I do my exercises at home

I must admit I'm afraid to go back to work but will try mid June my ward is really busy.

PT told me not to walk but I was planning to start it today.

Take care

Maria

• Posted

Keep at it Maria - there must be light at the end of the tunnel 
    • Posted

I'm sure there is a light at the end of the tunnel Ken , it just feels like I'm walking towards it at the speed of a snail😄

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.